What's new

Hunter S. Thompson...Dead at 67 (1 Viewer)

SteveLa

Stunt Coordinator
Just heard a breaking news story that the celebrated author is dead at 67. The story said his son reported his father had shot himself to death. :frowning:

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
What a tragic end. He was one of the great Americans of our time.

"Journalism is not a profession or a trade. It is a cheap catch-all for fuckoffs and misfits, a false doorway to the backside of life, a filthy piss-ridden little hole nailed off by the building inspector, but just deep enough for a wino to curl up from the sidewalk and masturbate like a chimp in a zoo cage."
- Hunter S. Thompson

Defiant, anarchic and poetic, Dr Gonzo will never be forgotten. His frustration at Modern Life is our frustration, also.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Hard to believe, but I had just watched the Criterion version of "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" just last night, and after I finished watching it, I listened to maybe 20 minutes or so of the third commentary which featured him and producer Laila Nabulsi and found it to be insightful and simply hilarious The entire DVD itself is superb and I'm grateful they featured a number of material on it about H.S. Thompson.

He will certainly be missed

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Gonzo to the end it would seem. I'm also glad that the Fear and Loathing disc got done before this so it was able to include so much with and about him.

Between his writing and his legend portrayed on screen he will certanly live on and continue to inspire other free thinkers.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
This is a bad week for celebrity deaths. Dan O'Herlihy, Sandra Dee, John Raitt and now Hunter S. Thompson.

I may not have always agreed with the man, but damn if he wasn't an entertaining writer.

Pour some Jack on the ground and light up a smoke...The King of Gonzo is dead. Long live the King.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

So who's gonna Wang Chung with the Grim Reaper next?

Chris Derby

Second Unit

Believe it or not, there ARE people out there that can "hold their liquor" when it comes to elicit substances. Not everybody who smokes dope (or does acid, or...) kills themself.

RIP HST

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
Just horrifying news.

RIP :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Obviously and likewise there are people that have never touched any form of drug or alcohol and are suicidal. But I'm not discussing them, I'm referring to the now deceased Hunter S. Thompson; the man who smoked dope, did acid and an encyclopedia of other drugs.

I'm approaching his death from the standpoint of a person who also did drugs and has been clean for 4 months. I'm looking at what could have been and hopefully will not be. So in that regard Hunter's death by his own hand is not shocking to me.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
yes.
hopefully impressionable children and youths will get the message from this- no matter how 'brilliant' you are, you mess with the drugs and the odds are you won't live to see your 70s.

i dunno.
the guy seemed as nutty as monkey turd, but i always figured he was crazy like a fox and that was mostly schtick.
but it either wasn't or else there was something more to the story. maybe he found out he had an incurable, debilitating disease.
on the one hand, being raised Catholic, suicide has been drummed into me as the ultimate no-no and in that light i have to view what he did as the ultimate f*%# up.
no turning back now, you dope.
you just left a big mess for everybody else to clean up.
on the other hand, maybe i'm just a big weenie.

but i don't know the full story
and probably won't for a while yet.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Ironically, I had just read a column by him on ESPN.com last week. Thompson had supposedly called Bill Murray in the middle of the night with a new game he had invented called "Shotgun Golf". It was quite funny, I'm sure that you can still find it on ESPN with a quick search.

Truly sad, but certainly not shocking news.

It's time to finally watch that Criterion "Fear & Loathing" that's been sitting on my shelf calling my name.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
I was introduced to HST in the early 80s by reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. I couldn't stop talking about this guy and got many of my college friends to read him. He was a great writer and I couldn't get enough of him. I ended up reading The Great Shark Hunt, Hells Angels, A Generation of Swine, and others. I also enjoyed reading his column on ESPN.com Page 2. This news is shocking to me. While he definitely lived life on the edge, his suicide comes as a huge shock. My wife, knowing how much I enjoyed reading him, called me during my commute to work to give me the news. This is a very depressing day for me, but as HST said, "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

RIP,

Jeff

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
To me, it almost seems a fitting end for someone like him. I'm not saying this to be mean or snide, but the man WAS the epitimy of Gonzo, and maybe he thought it was time to close the book on someone who had Billy Murray and Johnny Depp portray him on film, was idolized by many, and lived life WAY out there! I'm going to dig out my copy of The Great Shark Hunt and remember that we'll always have his words...
RIP, Dr. Gonzo.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I stopped into Tower last night and happened to see a copy of, "Where the Buffalo Roams" and picked it up. Later when we heard the news it sort of made sense.
Thanks Hunter for the suggestion.
As my wife & myself toasted his life (sorry HST, JW Black stood in for Wild Turkey) the only words I could mutter was, "where's the ether when you need it"?

Sadness prevails.

Back in the mid 80s he was the Night Manager at the Mitchell Bros Theater and he wrote for the Examiner on Mondays. I would ride my Lambretta down to the Tenderloin in the middle of the night hoping to catch him one on one.
He was a hard man to pin down and I never did but I will miss him dearly

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...NGHUBERJ31.DTL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks