Hunt for Red October black bars

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle W, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Kyle W

Kyle W Extra

I hope this is the right place to post. I recently bought a Panny 47" 16x9 TV, and so far all of the widescreen DVDs have been enhanced.

The other night however, I watched The Hunt for Red October which the box said was "widescreen", however when I played it, the black bars were HUGE! Together they almost took up 2/3 of the screen.

I know that HFRO is not anamorphic, but is that what caused the bars to be so large? Are all non-anamorphic widescreen DVD's going to look this way?

[​IMG]

2. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

3. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    As has been noted in numerous similar threads to this one, "enhanced for widescreen TV" or anamorphic, has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ASPECT RATIO. It refers to increased picture resolution, not to black bars or the lack thereof.

A 2.35:1 movie will have black bars on a widescreen TV, whether anamorphic or not.

It's true that you need to use the "zoom" mode on your TV for a non-anamorphic DVD to fill the screen horizontally (i.e., prevent having black bars on the sides) while maintaining the proper aspect ratio. An anamorphic DVD uses the "full" mode. But the final proportions of each should be about the same.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

5. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I thought it was just all that good russian food! [​IMG]

Seriously though, I can see how people don't realize this about non-anamorphic, (which totally sucks and I HATE IT!)

I hope you're right Adam about HFRO later this year. ALl I heard is a hint of maybe from Martin. Now if we could get Buena Vista to give us CRIMSON TIDE in anamorphic!

6. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
  7. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Brandon [​IMG]

That's f'n GREAT news. Only thing bad is the 4 pack, I already bought SUM OF ALL FEARS, since it was anamorphic. Wish they'd market a 3 pack of the older titles reissued only. But I'll scour the web and the roundup and try to get all 3 for 30 to 40 dollars, I hope.

8. Greg_W

Greg_W Stunt Coordinator

If the black bars on HfRO were bigger than on other 2.35:1 movies you need to use a different widescreen mode than full. Look in your owners manual for the zoom mode that works for non anamorphic DVD.[​IMG]

Greg

9. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

10. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway

11. Lee-M

Lee-M Stunt Coordinator

Hunt for Red October, in addition to being in such a narrow strip on my 55" Mits, is probably the worst-looking DVD in my collection... it's absolutely criminal that this piece of trash was ever released in this format looking like it does.

It's a shame, because it's one of my favorites...

12. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy

I would rather have a non-anamorphic "piece of trash" than nothing at all. I got 3 good years out of the current HFRO DVD, I will gladly re-purchase the new one.

13. Declan

Declan Second Unit

In the UK HFRO was ana-morphic but it has my major pet hates about film to video transfers that contain subtitles. They are all on the lower black bar and it total disorentates me when this big flash of white text suddenly comes up on black area of the screen. If that is what it was like at the flicks then I would have to have read the subs off the head of the guy sitting in front of me.

Studios please......... for 2.35:1 ratio movies and over, if they have subtitles, keep them in the widescreen frame as it was theatrically.

14. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Yes, you can zoom HFRO on a widescreen TV... but there's one GIANT problem. The player-generated subtitles play in the black area that gets cut off when you zoom. Considering how much of this movie is subtitled, that renders it completely unwatchable. Patriot Games and Clear And Present Danger are also non-anamorphic, but if I remember correctly they have burned-in subtitles so you can zoom them.

15. Kyle W

Kyle W Extra

Thanks all for clarifying the issue.

Yes, I am using a progressive scan DVD player. In setup mode I tried turning the progessive feature off, changed aspect ratios, you name it, but the narrow picture didn't change.

Zooming in from the TV finally made the picture larger (and more grainy), but as Jeremy pointed out, the subtitles weren't visible.

For some reason my Panny doesn't lock the aspect ratio with progressive signals, rather is lets me toggle between FULL, 4:3 and ZOOM (no JUST).

I'll play with some of my other non-anamorphic widescreen DVD's with subtitles to see if I get the same result.

Thanks!

16. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

That's why I got a panny rp91 progressive-DVD player...it has full aspect ratio control *digitally* so I can leave my TV set to "16x9 full" mode and use the DVD player to properly configure all aspect ratios.

-dave [​IMG]