What's new

Hunchback of Notre Dame Disney DVD - 03/19/02 (1 Viewer)

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Finally. Wasn't this originally to be a Gold Collection title? Is that still the case, or has Disney given up on that line? That webpage doesn't really say.
In any case, hopefully now it's safe to assume that it will get a proper treatment (anamorphic), since Disney has improved.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I wonder how they will coordinate the release with the video sequel:
The Hunchback of Notre Dame II
Note that it will be anamorphic, 1.66:1. It would be a shame if the made-for-video sequel is a better package than the classic original. Then again, that's how it turned out for The Little Mermaid and Lady and the Tramp.
[Edited last by Glenn Heberle on September 06, 2001 at 02:18 PM]

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Hmmmm.... "1.85:1 Aspect Ratio", but no mention of whether or not it'll be anamorphic...
That particular database does not normally indicate anamorphic in the technical specs. Their listing for the Tarzan CE only says "1.66:1" aspect ratio. Also, their listing for "Dinosaur" regular or collector's editions do not indicate DTS even though it is included, so there is still hope in both cases.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
I hope they do what they did with Dumbo and pack it with a number of extras, making the gold collection truely gold for once. And on a side note, I notice all the old cast is back in the sequel, which is in widescreen^^. Now to acually get to watch the movie for the first time.
------------------
gosalyn.gif

Support the DVD release of the Disney Afternoon for her.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Has Disney released a film with a AR of 1.66:1 or greater
and NOT done anamorphic enhancement in the last year?
I'm asking because I am not sure, but
aside from the original non SE version of A Bug's Life,
(which they re-released with the same non-Anamorphic
transfer for the "Gold Collection,"
I thought everything else was Anamophically enhnaced.
Mark
[Edited last by Mark Walker on September 06, 2001 at 09:02 PM]

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
Cinderella II? What's the plot line? Does she go Rambo on her step-sisters and stepmother? Will it be politcally correct for the millenium? Who will provide the voice for the fairy godmother, make that fairy godperson...Richard Simmons
wink.gif

Maybe Cinderella will realize that her Prince Charming isn't so charming after all. Hey, he couldn't stand up to his father the King, and further more, couldn't Cinderella sue her step family for abuse, both physical and mental, SHE was the one who had mice for friends.
Just a thought
wink.gif

KDHM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kim Donald Houde-Martens
"Cinderella II" hopefully Anne Rice is writing the screenplay on the lines of "The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty"
kd

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Good stuff there! Thanks for the post!
As for those of you who don't know what Cinderella II is about (or didn't even know it was coming!)...don't you WATCH your DVD's? Disney has put a trailer for it on every DVD they released since, oh, around springtime! If necessary, I can go name discs it is on, so you can spin one and look for the trailer. Especially since Disney's site is razor-thin on a synopsis for this...title (ahem).
Anyway, a little data-mining through Disney's site reveals that they have on tap some more titles on DVD soon (a few of these I've never heard of!):
So Dear to My Heart {we knew this was coming}: http://psc.disney.go.com/disneyvideos/moviefinder/products/1960103.html
[Edited last by David Lambert on September 07, 2001 at 07:34 AM]

ChristopherM

Stunt Coordinator
According to the second site mentioned by Mark, "The Hand Behind the Mouse: The Ub Iwerks Story" includes never before seen archival footage, previously censored cartoon clips from the 1920s, "Plane Crazy" and "Steamboat Willie".
However, there is no mention of a DVD release. Disney, please don't tell us this will be VHS-only! Surely the kind of person interested in this kind of thing is precisely the kind of person who now buys DVDs instead of tapes?
Perhaps this will turn up as part of a future "Treasures" set?

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
So ... Where's Sleeping Beauty??
When Disney announced their Gold Collection concept two years ago we were told that all Classic Animation titles that were not designated as part of the "Platinum Collection" would be released to DVD as part of the "Gold" series within two years.
Obviously, they're running a little behind here ...
Joseph

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Joseph, if I'm not mistaken, Sleeping Beauty is scheduled to be part of the Platinum Collection. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Good news on Schoolhouse Rocks! Hopefully, it's the entire collection and not some lame best of like VHS is getting (it sounds like it's all of them).

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
Disney said earlier this year that the Gold Collection does
not sell to well with the people and it's most likely that
they will stop releasing their titles under the Gold Collection banner.
As far as I know Disney is releasing several titles next
year on dvd.
Those titles include :
The Rescuers
The Hunchback Of Notre Dame (as mentioned here)
The Hunchback Of Notre Dame 2
Peter Pan 2 : Return To Never-Never Land
The Great Mouse Detective
Atlantis : The Lost Empire
101 Dalmatians : The Animated Sequel
Dumbo 2
Cinderella 2
Oliver & Co
Monsters Inc.
Beauty And The Beast (Platinum)
Sleeping Beauty
Just to name a few.
Buena Vista International is releasing several titles already in Europe this coming Fall.
Recuers, Oliver & Co , Hunchback Of Notre Dame and Sleeping
Beauty find their way to dvd.
Peace....
------------------
There is another world....The DVD WORLD !!

MarkBurton

Second Unit
Here are the classfications of Disney DVDs:
Limited Editions (soon to be discontinued)
101 Dalmatians, The Jungle Book, Lady and the Tramp, Mulan, Peter Pan, Pinocchio, The Little Mermaid, Hercules, and The Lion King 2: Simba's Pride.
Gold Collection: http://www.disneygold.com
Alice In Wonderland, The Aristocats, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, The Black Cauldron, A Bug's Life, The Fox And The Hound, Fun And Fancy Free, A Goofy Movie, Hercules, The Adventures Of Ichabod and Mr. Toad, Make Mine Music, Mary Poppins, Melody Time, Mickey's Once Upon A Christmas, Mulan, Pete's Dragon, Pinocchio, Pocahontas, Pocahontas II: Journey to a New World, The Rescuers Down Under, Robin Hood, Saludos Amigos, The Sword in the Stone, The Three Caballeros and Toy Story
Platinium Collection
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (2001), Beauty and the Beast (2002), Aladdin (2003), The Lion King (2004), The Little Mermaid (2005), Bambi (2006), Cinderella (2007), Lady and the Tramp (2008), 101 Dalmatians (2009) and The Jungle Book (2010)
Collector's Series
Tarzan, The Emperor's New Groove, The Fantasia Anthology. It seems that the Disney movies since Tarzan get a one disc release that does not fall under any label and a multi disk "Collector's" set. I would imagine the same will be true for Atlantis in January.
60th/30th Anniversary Editions:
This is a bit of a puzzle. Bedknobs and Broomsticks is labeled as a 30th Anniversary Edition, but is listed with their official Gold Collection Titles. However, Fantasia is a 60th Anniversary Edition, but is not listed as a Gold Collection title, probably since it is included in the Fantasia Anthology Collector's Edition Set. Maybe 30th Anniversaries are Gold Editions? You're guess is as good as mine.
Dumbo is also a 60th Anniversary Edition, but I haven't seen anything that would indicate that it is included under the Gold Collection banner either. If you want to know more about Dumbo, check out this website: http://psc.disney.go.com/disneyvideo...s/2161503.html
On a side note, there is a preview for Dumbo II on this disk. Also, check out this website and click "Release Calendar": http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/
You can see the upcoming releases for the rest of the year. Notice that Dumbo is not listed with a Gold Collection banner.
It will be interesting to see how The Hunchback of Notre Dame gets released. I would imagine that it would be a Gold Collection release. I guess we'll see.
Finally, check out this site: http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/mo...lesaz/a-d.html
You can see the status of any Disney movie (except Song of the South, naturally).
As far as direct-to-video sequels are concerend, here are all of the ones that I know of...
Aladdin 2: The Return Of Jafar
Aladdin and the King of Theives
Lady and the Tramp II: Scamp's Adventure
Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas
Cinderella II: Dreams Come True
The Little Mermaid II: Return To The Sea
Peter Pan II: Return To Neverland
Dumbo II
The Hunchback of Notre Dame II
Pocahontas II: Journey to a New World
I've also heard that there is supposed to be an animated sequel to 101 Dalmatians, but I haven't seen anything official yet. Of course, this list doesn't include the many Pooh videos, nor does it include The Rescuers Down Under since that was a theaterical release. If you know of any other, please let me know. Thanks.
[Edited last by MarkBurton on September 07, 2001 at 02:35 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks