What's new

HUMPHREY BOGART: THE SIGNATURE COLLECTION VOL. 2 Debuts 10/03/06 (1 Viewer)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I've been expecting this announcement but still it's great news re: The Maltese Falcon 3-Disc Special Edition. The other Bogey films in the collection are good but none are must haves for me.

On a side note - I'm not happy with Warners recent trend (i.e. this and the John Ford set) of not releasing films individually.

As for the 07 Flynn set, if it doesn't include Don Juan, Dawn Patrol, Gentleman Jim I'll be very disappointed.

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
Being Maltese, I'm obviously delighted that THE MALTESE FALCON (1941) - which, unsurprisingly, was a childhood favorite of mine...and still is:) - is getting a 3-Disc re-issue and, of course, it goes without saying that I'm going to be double-dipping on this one:frowning:! By the way, while I was in Hollywood, a few months ago I rented a replica of the Falcon statuette itself - albeit from Universal Studios:confused: - for use in my brother's final short film!

Anyway, although I'm aware of their reputations, I have never watched the other two film versions of the Dashiell Hammett novel so I'm looking forward to that. As for the other Bogarts in the Box Set, I've watched them all: I love the somewhat underrated ACROSS THE PACIFIC (1942) and have been wishing to rewatch ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT (1942) ever since my sole viewing of it one Summer afternoon on Italian TV in the mid-80s!! With regards to the other two WWII films, I like them well enough although they are not among my favorites or, come to that, Bogart's best. Still, PASSAGE TO MARSEILLES (1944) is, naturally, worth watching for its solid cast and that "flashback-within-flashback-within-flashback" structure which was certainly novel for its time.

Also, I echo other posters' wishes that even Bogart's "lesser" films get their DVD release eventually. For the record, the Bogart films I'd like to see released most on DVD are in chronological order (* denotes a title as yet unseen by yours truly):

BLACK LEGION (1937)
KID GALAHAD (1937) *
THE OKLAHOMA KID (1939)
THE RETURN OF DR. X (1939)
INVISIBLE STRIPES (1939) *
VIRGINIA CITY (1940)
BROTHER ORCHID (1940) *
THE BIG SHOT (1942) *
CONFLICT (1945) *
THE TWO MRS. CARROLLS (1947) - generally thought of as being Bogie's worst, I was surprised to find it an interesting and genuinely enjoyable curio
KNOCK ON ANY DOOR (1949) *
THE AFRICAN QUEEN (1951)
DEADLINE U.S.A. (1952) *

By the way, just yesterday I ordered a Region 2 Bogie Box Set which contains HIGH SIERRA (1941), the 2-Disc SE of CASABLANCA (1942) and DARK PASSAGE (1947) for as little as just under $27:)!!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I'm very saddened to read that Vincent Sherman, who recorded a commentary for this set as well as many others over the past couple of years has passed away less than a month away from his 100th b-day. I posted an obit in the movies forum.

As I said over there, even a long life can be cut too short.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
As Herb posted on 6/12, the date of this box set has been delayed till October 3. Maybe a moderator can fix the (now) incorrect thread title.

Chris*W

Stunt Coordinator

I have a feeling that Warners is going to hold off until Vol. 3 before doing any type of remaster on The Big Sleep. While I agree that it is a fine DVD presentation, there needs to be more special features, like a commentary, documentary, etc. And a remaster by Lowry Digital like Casablanca got (which The Big Sleep equally deserves) would definitely warrant a re-release. Until then, I'm fine with my current copy, but I would most certianly double dip for a nicer transfer and special features.

Junior_V

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think we will get a Special Edtion of "The Big Sleep" now when they are re-releasing the Bogart/Bacall movies

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don't double dip much, especially these days (gotta pay off those stupid college loans...), but for a three disc version of The Maltese Falcon, I am so there!

I think I bought the original DVD release either the day it came out or not long after. I was on vacation visiting relatives in California, and I saw it at the video store and grabbed it. They didn't have a DVD player yet, so I had to wait a week until I was home to watch it. I had never seen it, but I don't know..I just *knew* I was going to love it, and I did. It quickly became one of those films that I could watch over and over and not grow tired of.

It's going to be fantastic to revisit this film in-depth. I can't wait!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Looks great, but I really do wish they would take that 'Volume II' off the cover... nobody's who's buying this could possibly own 'Volume I' considering 90% of it has been reissued in superior quality editions and most Bogart-film fans would have surely upgraded. I know I have!

Why not just name it The Humhrey Bogart Collection or chose some other platinum, deluxe, golden, etc branding to tack on?

Eh... who am I kidding, I don't really care eitherway.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Per the Digital Bits:
Humphrey Bogart Signature Collection, Volume 1 for release on 10/3 (SRP $59.92), due to include the Casablanca: Special Edition, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre: Special Edition, High Sierra and They Drive by Night

The previous Bogart set was not part of the signature collection. Both Volumes One and Two will be released the same day. I think it is great that Warner made one volume consist of previously released films and the second volume all new or upgraded films. This was definitely done with the fans in mind. Thank you Warner Bros.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

They may release the individual films later . They did this with the Marx Bros films such as Room Service and At The Circus which were original available only on the Warner Marx Bros set .

Jon Baker

Second Unit

Does anyone know if the previously released editions will be reissued in proper keepcases for Vol. 1?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That has been the normal process with Warner on other similar releases so I don't expect that to change on this one.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks