What's new

Humorous Games (1 Viewer)

Ike

Screenwriter
I like humorous games. I often find myself wishing more games would go for a funny atmosphere and surprise me.

I was wondering what everyone's favorite funny game was in recent times? Of all times?

Peter O

Stunt Coordinator
I enjoy games that don't take themselves too seriously.

Most of my memories of humorous games come from LucasArts adventure games of yesteryear:
Monkey Island series
Sam 'n' Max
Day of the Tentacle

Others:
Tex Murphy series
Anachronox
The Longest Journey

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Beavis and Butthead in Virtual Stupidity was hysterical (depending on whether or not you find B&B hysterical, I guess...)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I remember there was this alien game for Dreamcast that supposedly was really funny.. iw as planning to get it, but i forgot the name..

Edit: Ah i remmebr! Stupid Invaders

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I'll concur with the Lucasarts games, especially Sam and Max Hit the Road.

The Sierra adventure games also. All those "quest" series - King's Quest, Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. They did get Douglas Adams to help them make it, after all.

I think a lot of Bally/Williams/Midway's games were pretty hilarious back in the old days. Narc, SmashTV, Total Carnage, Mortal Kombat. My friends and I used to constantly crack up while playing Trog at the arcades :)

And a lot of the old Atari Games stuff, like APB, Paperboy, Rampage, or 720 had a nice cartoony style.

Peter O

Stunt Coordinator
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. They did get Douglas Adams to help them make it, after all.
That reminds me. I forgot all about Starship Titanic, also by Douglas Adams. The ship that cannot possibly... go wrong.

Also one of the last adventure games that has a command line-style interface for communication: you type out full sentences and the characters respond (with voices though).

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Funnily enough I just finished playing through Curse of Monkey Island, and am playing through Escape now, so I'll have to concur on the LucasArts Adventure games.

Giants: Citizen Kabuto was quite funny, although I didn't get too far in it, so I don't know if that humour was maintained.

While not actually funny game, most of Blizzards games (the Craft series especially) has quite a few little humour bits (like when you keep clicking on units).

Duke Nukem 3D, Earthworm Jim, Worms series, Oddworld, Zork, and Grand Theft Auto all have a great sense of humour too.

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
I haven't actually played it, but I keep reading that Darkened Skye (the Skittles game) is very funny and well-written. There were a couple of times Seaman said something humorous. Grim Fandango is also funny, I hear.

Tim Maynard

Stunt Coordinator
I absolutely loved "The Neverhood", an excellent game using Claymation, which had tons of humorous stuff, but also required some use of the grey matter. I wish I could get the game again, but it is OOP.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Gotta love anything that Lucasarts made back in the day. Sam and Max was probably my favourite game, but I have to say that the "rubber tree" joke from MI2 was one of the funniest bits ever in a game.

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
It a oldie, but you can't go wrong with Earthbound, a rpg with a modern day twist that includes the humor of the age too. With monsters like "New Age Retro Hippie", "Cranky Old Man", "Happy Happist Cult", or "Department Store Spook". Plus fun characters like Mr. T look like, Mr. Saturns, the stupid camera man, and more. And it was a great rpg too, making it even better. If you need more, then go to Starmen.net and you will see page for both the SNES game and the NES prequel.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
My favorite funny game is probably "Attack Of The Mutant Penguins" for the Atari Jaguar. A goofy concept with fun, cartoony graphics; the catapult side-game is a stitch.

"Ninja Golf" for the 7800 is a funny idea, and the first time you see things like your ninja having to dodge sharks while running along the bottom of a water hazard, they're amusing, but after that it sort of becomes just another game (and one where you have to use those god-awful 7800 "ProLine" controllers at that).

Carlos Mendoza

Stunt Coordinator
Rayman 3 had me rolling with Globox's antics and some of the jokes, not to mention the cartoons you will unlock for completing the levels.

Ike

Screenwriter
Tim,

I remember the Neverhood. It was on a really sweet Windows 95 demo disc I had (I think I still have, but probably shredded to bits.) For the time, it looked really good.

Ebay has some copies, but they look a little pricey for an old game.

I too love the Lucasarts adventure games. That's what prompted this question. The Monkey Islands, Full Throttle, and Grim Fandango are some of my favorite games period. I anxiously await Psychonauts. I desperately want it to be great.

ChrisV

Second Unit
I like the Monkey Island games.

Some of the things the players say in Deathrow have made me burst out laughing.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
There are a number of good humor games. Fewer lately than there used to be, but the old ones were gold. The first couple Leisure Suit Larry games are a riot if you like raunch and double entendre. Buying the condom in the first one is a blast.

The Monkey Island games have all been funny to some degree (no comment on Escape, haven't played). I think they got less funny as they went on, but only by a very small amount. The MYST joke in Curse is top-notch. Loom had a fantastic sense of humor as well.

Freedom Force is another great one. It's not in your face funny, but it's such a brilliant duplication of the 60's era comics that I can't help but smile at it. The Adam West-style voices really sell this one.

Funniest one I've played lately: No One Lives Forever. There's a game that's not only fun as anything, but has a viciously sharp sense of humor. Great stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks