Hummmmmm?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Daryl Leopold, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Daryl Leopold

Daryl Leopold Auditioning

Hi there,
    I am plagued by an audio hum from the TV to the Surround receiver and it's only from the TV. I have investigated the ground loop idea and ensured all units were on the same pathway but the hum still prevails.
    I repeat, this is only from TV programs: not dvds, vhs, am/fm stations at all. Only the TV programs.

Any ideas?
    I have been trying to eliminate this bothersome noise but cannot get around it. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

If you're using a CATV box, try disconnecting it and see if the hum goes away.

3. Jamie Doucette

Jamie Doucette Stunt Coordinator

Do you have any other electronics other than your Home Theater gear in the same room (ie: small apliances, cordless phones, halogen lamps)? Sometimes these cause interfence.

4. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

5. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Directly from the TV? Using the left and right audio out? If so probably the TV. What kind of TV?

6. Kerryn R

Kerryn R Auditioning

I have a similar prob with a high-pitched whistle, which comes through reciever - it happens only when viewing TV via my digital decoder but is not present when using the dvd (or the TV without the receiver on).

I have significant digital reception issues and I suspect this may be the cause of my whistle, kind of like when you get a bacground noise on a weak radio station- maybe it's worth checking out your antenna's signal strength and reception quality? Just a thought.