humming coming from speakers when connected to tv

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark_Su, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Mark_Su

Mark_Su Agent

I'm trying to hook my Sony Wega up to my Onkyo hts650 receiver. However, whenever I do, I get a terrible humming sound coming from all of my speakers and the sub (but I do get sound). I hooked up a pair of RCA audio cables to the audio out in my tv, hooked the other end into the video 2 audio inputs on the reciever, turned off the speakers to my tv, and set the audio out to "fixed". Any suggestions as to what I should do?

PS: An semi-related question, can a tower FM antenna degrade the signal going to my speakers if placed right next to the reciever?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Try this:

Hook the system back up so you experience the hum.

Disconnect your CATV coax or your sat coax. Does the hum change? If so, you need a DC isolation block on the coax.

The other common source of hum is the sub. Try using an electrical "cheater" plug to remove the ground on the sub power cord. See if this solves the problem.

Good Luck.

PS: No, a FM antenna should have zero effect on the speaker signals. It MIGHT inject noise into the plugs on the back of the receiver, but it should not trouble the speaker-level signals.

3. Mark_Su

Mark_Su Agent

4. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

You've probably got a ground loop which probably means your cable line is not properly grounded to the main house ground. Is it possible for you to check this? For example, my cable is grounded from a splitter at the location where the cable comes into the house. It's just a wire running over to the circuit breaker box which is also in the same location. Do a search in the accessories forum for "ground loop" and you'll get a bunch of posts and pointers to various information/products.

cheers,

--tom