Hummer H2

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Darren H, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Darren H

Darren H Second Unit

Is it true that the H2 is essentially a Suburban -- same frame, same engine -- with a different body? I remember hearing that once, but can't seem to track down a reliable source.

2. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

It is either a Suburban or a Chevy Avalanche frame. The engine is not the same as far as I know. I remember hearing this at the NY Auto Show a few years back when the H2 was previewed.

3. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

They seem to be moving further and further from the vehicle that everybody was/is in awe of the military hummer(lm002 I think) which I think is a mistake.

Brent

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

A simple Google will give more answers. [​IMG]

5. NeerajC

NeerajC Agent

its a glorified grocery getter. The suspension is the suburban IFS (which is a great work truck, bad off-road vehicle) i've seen them trying to tackle the trails here in Georgia, and its a painful sight. They should stick to being the backdrops for Rap videos and leave the trials for real 4x4's

just my .02 cents worth [​IMG]

6. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

Yeah!!!!! and theres no place to put a dog box....[​IMG]

I have driven them and they are a nice riding vehicle.

7. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

It's a "girl" Hummer... they might as well manufacture them all in pink.

8. NeerajC

NeerajC Agent

my friend's got a sticker on his Jeep that says "H2...cause chicks need hummmers too". Quite appropriate [​IMG]

9. Mike Lenthol

Mike Lenthol Second Unit

10. Tim Fennell

Tim Fennell Stunt Coordinator

A friend heard a LM002 pull away from a toll booth on the Mass Pike many years ago. He said it sounded like nothing he'd ever heard before... Like a shriek. That was what made him look over and see it. Then he saw the badge on it.

11. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Ha!, I made a mint last year on those hideous things. Now the hype has died a bit. Even the boss here sold his, because they're everywhere now. It's actually a decent ride. A bit feminine compared to the H1.

SIDE RANT :

Vague much? Trust me, technicians will find the above quote funny. For the record, he asked if it had the same frame. Not if shared the same pitman arm as a Suburban. Charlie Martin can eat mold. He ought to be working around the clock to dream up a stock suspension that actually functions and lasts. Hey techs, I have a dollar for every Chevy/GMC idler and pitman arm you've changed over the years. Any takers? I will sweeten the deal if you know the labor times by heart. [​IMG]

12. Darren H

Darren H Second Unit

Thanks, guys. From looking through GM's various websites, it looks like the H2 and the 3/4-ton Suburban share the same Vortec 6000 V8. Is that accurate?

For the record, I'm not much of a car guy, but I'm writing an article in which I *need* to get this information correct.

13. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    To put it easy

1. An H2 comes with a "vin U" 6.0 366 cid.
    2. The 1995-2002 H1's came with either a 350 5.7L or a 6.5 Diesel motor(two variations). 1993 was a 6.2dsl exclusively. 1994 offered all three options (6.2dsl, 6.5dsl, 5.7L)
    3. A Suburban 2500 can come with a few different motors. So to say that the Hummer H2 has the same motor as the 2500 Suburban would only be partially correct.

14. CalvinCarr

It has the same motor as the Yukon Denali.

15. PhillJones

PhillJones Second Unit

I saw a stretched Hummer limosine the other week;; truely bizarre. I wish I had my camera on me at the time.

I honestly don't know why anybody would want a hummer, stretched or otherwise. It's the least practical car I've ever seen, unless you're planning to storm a capital building or follow tanks arround.

16. CalvinCarr

sports cars aren't practical either. Any car that can go faster than the speed limit is useless...[​IMG]

I happen to love having a big S.U.V.....I jest cain't git my huntin dawg box on that there hummer veee thang.[​IMG]

17. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler

Oh my, we could do this all day. And so does a flippin' Escalade and the newer Cargo/Express vans. It's a very popular GM motor.

He's writing an article. You wouldn't say "it has the same motor as______." You would simply say "The H2 is equipped with GM's 6.0-liter Vortec 6000." [​IMG]

"It's the same", "they are all the same" rhetoric has plagued parts and service employees for years. Just tell me what you do have.

18. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

God help you lot if your fuel prices ever get like ours [​IMG]

19. Tim Fennell

Tim Fennell Stunt Coordinator

Having driven in France and Italy I can only imagine the cost of owning a sub 10mpg SUV.

All our 3 vehicles use premium, but the mpgs on the vehicles avg 22, 25 and 32mpg.

20. CalvinCarr

Zen,
    It's okay.....Just showing a comaprison to something they may have driven...ya know something more familiar...[​IMG]

My Yukon does get 13 in the city and 18 on the Hwy. as does my wifes exploder. Pulling the boat kills it to about 9 on the hwy.[​IMG]

Not much choice when you have to tow things....