humax, ota hd tuner

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jeremy Swenson, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Jeremy Swenson

Jeremy Swenson Stunt Coordinator

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.proc...eed.HUX+HFA100

hopefully that link works, anyway, i ordered the new humax hfa 100 ota hd tuner, just came out, only one spot from what i can see i havent seen it at any stores yet, it will be here tommorrow, if anyone is interested i could post a comparison between it and my samsung 160

mainly though, i have no experience with humax, seems like they just have a couple dvr's, is humax a good name at all? anyone have good or bad things known about humax in general?

2. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

3. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Keep us informed and let us know what antennae you choose to use.

4. Jeremy Swenson

i am using a radio shack rooftop one, the biggest one i think, 100 bucks or something, my samsung has alot of problems i believe from multipath , and has pixelating and total drops sometimes, with my amp it works decent now, but i cant wait to see how the new one works,
    hopefully the tuner is more modernized, its cheap enough at least

5. Jeremy Swenson

wonderfull, i paid overnight to get it, its here, but with the wrong converter, i needed male hdmi to female dvi, its the other way, and i would have an hour drive to go get an hdmi cable, and waste my dvi cable too

6. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Try Component for now to see how it works

7. Jeremy Swenson

ok , i got the reciever on overnight ups, jr.com sent me the wrong adaptor it was female hdmi to male dvi, useless to me, so i had to run to best buy a two hour round trip and got the only hdmi cable they had, monster of course at 150 freakin bucks, but i am impatient and i figure the cable will work for when i upgrade my tv to an hdmi capable tv, so its working now
    the humax hfa 100, it is maybe 1/2 to 2/3 of the size of my old samsung 160, it picked up a couple more channels, not alot ,but something like 19 total at around 40 miles from the stations, the channels on the samsung were at around 69% for some of the good ones, now they are running 90 to 100% on the humax, a couple are lower around 80, just from tonight with not much time i havent seen any dropouts or pixelating, but i only watched for a bit, no sound on the WB but i called a freind and his didnt either, just bad technicians there i think, the remote is sensitive to where you point it, needs to be pointed directly at the STB, i really like having to only push one button to see the signal strength, the digital output on hdmi can be set to automatically output the optimum for your tv, or pick your resolution,
    very easy to setup, just step through or push auto,

also, way better guide than my samsung picked up, that never said what was on, only a couple channels, this one had the names on almost everything, just a couple pbs channels were missing,

i just used it tonight but i can say i know i will like it alot better than the samsung 160, and at 200 it was only a few bucks more than the damm monster cable

8. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Jeremy, youve had it a while now.

A second review maybe? [​IMG]

9. Jeremy Swenson

sorry, i ended up buying a new tv with a built in tuner, i sold it, it seemed to be a very good tuner
    for the price i would for sure reccommend it,

10. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

I now have Jeremy's Humax, I did not know Jeremy was a member. small world [​IMG]
    By far the fastest & responsive GUI interface among all the my past stb's with very fast tunning & channel lock.

As I posted on AVS
    cut-paste
    I have owned several tuners over the years, many times multiples of the same models. See sample list below.
    I recently purchased a Humax HFA100 just to check it out.
    In comparison to the list below, this is by far the fastest locking and most sensitive tuner I have personally used. I have not yet tried the LST-4200A so I have no comments in comparison. If the 4200A is anywhere as fast & sensitive as the HFA100 you should be happy, these tuners have leaped in the past few years in performance.

It's hard to remember them all, I doubt this list is complete.
    Hughes HTL-HD
    Sony SAT-HD300
    Hughes HIRD-E86
    Mitsubishi HD-1080
    RCA DTC-100
    Panasonic TU-HDS20
    Panasonic TU-DST50
    Panasonic TU-DST51
    Pioneer SH-D505
    Samsung SIR-T351
    Samsung SIR-T151
    Samsung SIR-T150
    Samsung SIR-T165

11. Jeremy Swenson

yeah,it is much much faster than my built in tuner, it takes a few seconds of black screen to change to the next channel, but i like it because i have the hdmi spot open if i need it now

i am on a few sites,avsforums,here,hdtvtwincities, these forums helped me pick my new tv,and i am very happy with it

you know , that money you paid for the tuner i ended up just spending at the home depot anyway, picked up a spreader and some lawn fertilizer, so now i guess i paid money to now have to mow my lawn more often[​IMG]

12. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Thanks Jerry!

13. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter