What's new

Human Resource Professionals??? : "Change Management Consultant" (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
So at work my current team is going to be disbanded and I have been applying everywhere and anywhere to avoid being "dumped" to a department which might entail a demotion. I am currently doing technical support, but have a degree in HR and that is where I want to go.

Unfortunately there's been no jobs that directly involve human resources, but I have just found out I have an interview tomorrow for one of the first jobs I've applied for: the Change Management Consultant. While this is slightly in line with my human resources skills, I must admit it is a tad over my head. My current manager loves me and gave a phone call on my behalf the same day I submitted the app. I think this is mostly why I was shortlisted to an interview. This is also the first "management" type interview I've gotten in a long, long time, and although I've done hands on interviewing many times while in university, it was always ME doing the interviews, learning HOW TO interview.

I need to quickly think of some behavioral type interview questions which will most likely be asked of me and responses which will not make me out to be a complete idiot. I can do the job, with success, I have no doubt of that, however because it's been 5+ years since I got my degree, and I haven't been "managing change" at my job recently, I'm a little out of it.

What should I expect from the interview?

I hope there are some human resource professionals that can help me out a bit here.

I think I saved a copy of the posting on my home computer, when I get home I will check it out and post it, that should help a ton.

Thanks.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
As promised, job posting information, would really like some help on this. Thx.

Key Responsibilities:·Support and assist with the communication and rollout of projects to be implemented in CSCC ·Collaborate with peer change practitioners to define scope, objectives and organizational impacts ·May provide consultation to project members to assist in design/development ·May lead cross-functional linked teams to address business or systems issues.The Challenge - Key Objectives/Deliverables in 1st 12 Months:·Collaborate with extended, cross-functional teams to identify operational readiness requirements ·Engage with operations staff to communicate initiatives and gather input ·Develop readiness plans for key FMO initiatives (to include communication, training, SME involvement)

Qualifications
Required Knowledge:·Proficient in the use of the following PC applications: Word, Excel, MS Project, PowerPoint, ·Sound working knowledge of the Change Management methodology ·Sound working knowledge of Customer Care ·Sound working knowledge of the complex business end-to-end service delivery process from Sales through ImplementationRequired Skills & Abilities:·Ability to maintain a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail in the preparation of documents ·Effectively able to deal with ambiguity, adjust quickly to shifting priorities and rapid changes ·Foster stability during change by insuring open and on-going communication ·Effectively adapt styles and approaches according to different change situations ·Actively support change initiatives within Client Solutions Customer Care ·Ability to work within a demanding schedule to meet tight deadlines ·Extensive oral, written and presentation communication skills ·Self-motivated, results oriented and quality focused ·Ability to perform well under pressure and in stressful situations ·Ability to plan, organize and prioritize workload ·Experience using good judgment in handling sensitive and confidential issues ·Ability to develop highly effective relationships with all levels of Management, Peers and EmployeesRequired Professional Designation/Certification:·Change Management accreditation or equivalent work experienceRequired Experience:·Two (2) years of experience in a customer service environment including familiarity in dealing with a significant Corporate change

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, I'm not a management type, but I do wish you the best of luck (as if it has anything to do with luck! ;)).

I've been living here for 4 years, and I still haven't gotten a good handle with the Calgary job market. Edmonton seems so much more straightforward. :)

(BTW, I'm still annoyed that Bioware decided not to hire me...oh well their loss. They would have had the Linux version of Neverwinter Nights on release date if they had hired me! :D )

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Hey Max, you've been here 4 years as well? That's cool, you and I came here about the same time then.. I came from Kamloops though, not Edmonton.

Never knew you were a Linux programmer, sounds exciting. Personally I am not familiar with it... TELUS doesn't support it either, but I have been talking with a lot of people running dual boot systems with XP and Linux and they claim it is so much more stable.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I lived in Edmonton, moved to Salmon Arm(!) for 2 years, then to Calgary when my company moved from there. Technically, I'm a B.C. refugee! :D

I haven't done Linux programming for 3 years though. Now I'm a Windows jockey. Programming windows is like falling asleep at the helm of the Titanic. Easy job, until you hit an iceberg!

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
good lord ... those "Key Responsibiities" read like something out of a consulting-lingo-bs nightmare ! Talk about vague.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I'm not personnel oriented but I do know sales. The way this looks to me, and from this website:
http://www.cognizant.com/services/ou...mt/program.htm
it looks like the position may have more to do with sales, particularly after sale customer relations, than with personnel. You may want to peruse a sales oriented book, particularly one dealing with handling objections to anticipate some of the interviewers questions.

I could be wrong though,(it's been known to happen on occasion) I only gave your post a cursory review and, as Tom said, the description is quite vague.

My only advice is that an interviewer often will hire the person they LIKE the most, qualifications be damned. It wouldn't hurt to talk with a few of the members of that department before and and introduce yourself-Socially. Ask them their opinion of the position, the team, their jobs, etc. You'll get lots of insights there about how the interview may go. Don't be afraid to talk with your future supervisor (yes, assume you will get the job). If they are the interviewer it will help ease the tension. If they are not and the like you it can help as well.

Good luck.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
At my workplace, they are often times referred to as "Inhumane Resources" or "the layoff department"

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I am currently earning my doctorate in Industrial/Organizational Psychology and might be able to help you out a bit. I am not a fan of organizational development (OD) and am much more more focused on traditional I/O areas for reasons I won't get into here. However, you might find some useful information on the Organizational Development Network homepage. I can't think of the URL off-hand, however, a quick search on Google should bring up productive results quickly.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Hey guys, many thanks for the responses, I haven't been to HTF in a while, been busy, as you can imagine. I'll look up those url's you have mentioned.

I had the first interview on Tuesday, the 24th, with the hiring manager on the phone from Burnaby, and her associate in person. (conducted in her office). It went well, lots of behavioral questions about communication, leadership, problem solving, teamwork, and my past history with leading through change. (I've had a lot of it at work in the last 3 years).

I didn't think it went OVERLY well, but I didn't shoot myself on the foot by any means. She's been on vacation but is coming to Calgary next week for stampede and stuff. She wants to meet with me, I guess to do a second interview (which will only be 30 minutes, the first one was over an hour!) I also have management aptitude testing on Monday all day, from 8:30 to 4:30. This should be fun! Lots of IQ stuff that I can't really prepare for, as well as personality testing. She also has asked for 3 internal references, and will be checking those.

I think that if she wants to meet with me in person while here on vacation, that must be a good sign, and they wouldn't test me, or ask for references if I wasn't in the top 3 or 5. So I'm treating all of this as big positives, and would like to seek some advice on making a good 30 minute first impression on Tuesday. Anything you can recommend would be appreciated.

Scott: I think I'm more interested in more traditional I/O areas as well, such as recruiting and labor relations. However, I still only have a degree, and am making quite a drastic swing in job descriptions, so this is all about finding out what I am interested in. I do get pumped when faced with ambiguity, setting my own goals, organizing and leading people. Cool stuff.

I have also done sales, in case that is what this is, although after the first interview, I don't think so. It's more to do with project management and consulting individual managers on handling staff, and determining how these projects will impact the organization.

I'm looking forward to it, wish me luck!

Cary_H

Second Unit
From looking at the job posting Paul, I'd guess you're with a gov't agency. If so, well....from my experience, the vast majority of promotions within the gov't has more to do with whether or not you are the type to "rock the boat".
I don't want to get off a rant here so, my advice to you is to not give one more second of thought to whether or not you are up to the task. Of course you are. The fact that you've been put forward tells me the higher-ups see something in you they like. Run with it.
As for the upcoming meeting in Calgary. It's simply about confirming that the "warm cozy feeling" they have with you is accurate, and more importantly, to look for any red flags that might tip them off to you not "being a fit in their team's chemistry thing".
And one last thing. Us Kamloops folk have all been infused with an unusual resiliant quality, call it a sort of blue-collar, when the going gets tough,.... thing. Feel free to dip into some of it when the need arises. Think of it like overdraft on a bank account that charges no interest and gets repaid upon your annual trip home.
Just tell them to have the coffee on, and show you which ass to kick first come Monday morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks