hum

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Wayde_R, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Wayde_R

Wayde_R Stunt Coordinator

what you do for the presence of hum in your sub. This is the same as if you'd detected a hum bar on your monitor, but it's audible throuhg your sub. The trouble here is the cable line, disconnect the cable the problem ceses. What can you do about it?

Everything is plugged into a single surge protector. Is it a good idea to try just plugging the sub into something different? What about the leakiness of the cable line, is it something that can be serviced by the cable company?

Thanks

2. John S

John S Producer

A simple solution just revealed to me on these forums, and now I have used twice and it works. Localize the cable ground to the same ground as everything else.

3. Wayde_R

Localize the cable ground to the same ground as everything else.

I think I understand in theroy what that shold accomplish. But is there an easy way to do this? From what I understand the cable ground comes into the house and the cable itself does have a ground as part of the wire. The cable box is plugged into the same outlet (surge protector) as everything else too. I take it that's not enough, as it's not helping obviously.

Do I do some surgery on the cable itself? Find where it comes into the house and ground it out to the fuse box? How are you conducting this localization?

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Dont plug the subwoofer into a different outlet. Plug it into the same power strip as your reciever.

The other solutions are:

- Use a 3-prong to 2-prong cheater plug on the subwoofer amp. This breaks it's ground connection to avoid the hum.

- Buy a real "subwoofer" cable with arrows on it to show the signal direction flow. The trick with these cables is they only have the center wire connected, not the outer shield to the "fingers" on the RCA plug. This breaks the ground connection between your reciever and amp.

5. Wayde_R

Thanks a lot, this is great info.

6. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

As an alternate route to break the ground coming from your cable television, you can install both a 75-300 ohm and a 300-75 ohm adaptor inline. This worked great for me...