Hum/whine in tv speakers...help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PatrickRL, Sep 10, 2002.

1. PatrickRL

PatrickRL Auditioning

I'm not a hardcore RF/home theater guy, but I know a bit. I hope someone can help me with my current difficulty. I subscribe to Comcast and have their Digital Cable service.

My box is a Motorola DCT 2000. I currently have the baseband/RCA connectors outputtting to my stereo vcr input and the output going to my stereo TV. I have low-end Monster Video cable running throughout the system and all components are plugged into a Monster surge supressor that is connected to the same circuit.

I am experiencing a high-pitch 'whine' or 'hum' on most channels, and it is espically apparent when the video onscreen goes to very light or white colors. It drives me crazy. Could this be a 'ground loop' that I've read about on the forum?

Is this the price of doing business or do you think something can be done about it? I just moved into this place and haven't bothered to set up my home theater surround gear yet because of this problem.

2. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Patrick, is the sound actually from the speakers, or is it just the TV in general? Reason I ask is that I have seen some boxes cause noise if the volume on it or the TV is up to loud. Try muting the volume is it still there with it on mute? If not try turning the volume down to about 1/4 on your TV & then use your dish to control it any farther. My Dad has this problem with his cable system if the TV's vol is up to loud & the box vol is low you get noise, but if the TV vol is set fairley low & the box slightley higher no noise at all.

3. PatrickRL

PatrickRL Auditioning

Hey Joe,

The noise is still there in mute, coming from the speakers (as far as I can tell). The cable box is set to 'optimal stereo' volume.

-prl

4. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

One thing I never did ask is what kind of TV do you have?

The only other thing I can think of is if it is a tube TV they can sometimes make a very high pitched noise. I have no idea as to what it is but I have had two different TV's that have done this & have heard others do it as well.
    In fact my current set dose it from time to time. Try putting some weight on the top of the set & see what happens or lift the front or back up just slightly so the weight is shifted to one point of the set. If you do any of these to mine it will stop completely.
    The only thing I found to get it to stop without messing with it was setting the TV on a thin piece of foam tool box liner. Ever since I have done that I haven't had any noise from it.

5. Jerry St.Marie

That high pitched whine you hear doesn't come from the speakers but from the high voltage circuits and if it's there the frequency is over 15k. The best way to find out where the noise is coming from is to start unplugging things to see if the noise is still there, and since you suspect your TV that would be the best place to start. If nothing but the AC is connected to your set and it's still making noise that doesn't leave a lot of options.

6. PatrickRL

PatrickRL Auditioning

>and since you suspect your TV that would be the best place to >start. If nothing but the AC is connected to your set and >it's still making noise that doesn't leave a lot of options.

Could the effect you describe be additative in nature? I ask because I only ever experience 'the noise' when the cable box is on and the tv is on as well. One component alone will not cause the noise.

Oh, BTW, the TV is a 32" RCA ( I previously mentoned what the cable box was).

I have phone calls into both Comcast and RCA. RCA is having me do a 'hard reset' of the tv to take it back to factory settings. That will take 12 hours of being unplugged! Comcast is coming on Monday the 16, but I don't expect much from them.

Thanks all for your continued assistance.

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

8. Jeff Braddock

Jeff Braddock Second Unit

Hopefully you have a better experience than me Patrick. I had an RCA, I can't remember if it was a 26 or 27 in. at the time, that would make this high pitched squeel. It usually happened when we turned on the t.v., but sometimes it would happen randomly. This happened for a month or two, then crapped out on me. What do I mean crapped out? Since we had 2 RCA's die within 12-13 months it's hard to keep them distinct from each other, but here's what happened to both. The first one (26") suddenly lost the picture. We had just changed the channel and the picture disappeared! We still had audio, but the screen was just gray. We took it back cause we figured it was a lemon and got a different RCA (27"). A few months after we got it, I came home from work to find out it died on my wife that evening. We could get no picture from any input (DVD,VCR,Antenna), no audio from any input, and it stopped responding to the remote and even the buttons on the tv (i.e. power on/off). Needless to say, we were not happy since it lasted like 5 months and the other only lasted just over 6. Hope you have better luck.

9. PatrickRL

PatrickRL Auditioning

10. Jerry St.Marie

Does the cable box have to be connected or just turned on? As far as AC circuits go, try running an extension cord. We were having problems with main frame disk drives once losing data until someone noticed a radar station a block away. Had to cover a wall with metal foil and ground it, so nothing would suprise me.

11. PatrickRL

PatrickRL Auditioning

12. Jerry St.Marie

What I'm trying to find out is it could be a radiation problem. If the units are powered on but have no physical connection (no cable between the TV and the cable box) and still makes noise it's a radiation problem from the box. Then try it again with the TV and the box connected but no signal input to the cable box. If you think the problem could be both being on the same circuit run an AC cord from the TV to another circuit in a different room. If I was't in another state and in a wheelchair I'd come down there.

13. PatrickRL

PatrickRL Auditioning

Ok, for those still following my tale of woe...here's an update. [​IMG]
    After additional testing, I am starting to think that it is the TV that is the problem. I moved other components around, turned them off and on and even unplugged things on the same circuit. I also can hear the sound when the TV is muted, so I guess the sound is NOT coming from the speaker after all.
    So much for my implementation of the scientific method.
    If it is the TV and not the cable box, what in the TV could be causing it?