What's new

Hum Problem solved!!! (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
In case you weren't aware, I've been battling a nasty 60 cycle hum problem in my home theater system since purchasing a new refrigerator for my house. If you aren't aware of the background behind this, the original thread is here.

Thanks to my new best friend Chu Gai who introduced me to the solution to this problem.

The answer is a product called Hum Eliminator from Ebtech Audio. This is a multifunction unit sold in pro music stores for studios. As such it is transparrent and contains very high quality circuitry. (See web site for more information). I got three of the stereo version since I'm running a 5.1 channel configuration. The 8 channel rack mount version would have looked more impressive and a little cleaner, but would have been considerably more expensive. If and when I put a rear center or two in my system I will buy another one.

I plugged these magic little boxes into my system between my preamp and power amp, and like magic all the hum dissapeared. Now I can listen to my SACD of Miles Davis' "Kind Of Blue" in peace!

Let's all give Chu a round of applause!!!

DanaA

Screenwriter
Yes Chu :emoji_thumbsup:

Philip, Do you notice any degradation of sound whatsoever? Also, I assume that you need to pick up one extra audio connect per channel. Then, it's just plug it in and it works? Anyone else use these?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I'd still have considered either attacking the fridge and/or the panel. I just hate spending other people's money Phil but I'm glad it worked out for you. BTW, were you able to dicker a bit on price at all and did you find anything comparable at Guitar Center that claimed to do the same?
Maybe some day we'll share a microbrew and I'll tell about the time I saw Miles Davis at the Wollman Skating Rink in Central Park. BTW, it was one of his 'bad' days which Miles was notorious for!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
No sound degradation at all whatsoever. I got three of the stereo boxes for $140 total. Considering they list at $89 each I think I did fine with the price. Yes, I did need to get interconnects, but as I'm not a cable "believer" the 3 foot Guitar Center RCA-to-1/4" is fine by me.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Oh, there's another product that I completely forgot about which you can read about.
http://www.q-audio.com/
I understand it works quite well. Looks more audiophilish too. a little pricey but....

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I'll bet that box is very similar to my Hum Eliminators. I'm not a big believer in subjective audiophile mumbo jumbo, but I have worked in home and pro recording studios (a 24 track 2" Studer sounds pretty fricking good BTW - I want one). I trust that these boxes are doing the job just fine thank you. :)
talk about a ton of gizmos over there huh Phil?
where, my house? Yup. Too many. :eek:

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Good call Chu for not giving up on a fellow member. You are what help make HTF one of the best sites on the net. :)

Matt_Doug

Stunt Coordinator
Doesn’t your amplifier have a signal ground lift switch? If it does, I beleieve that would've worked similarly to the Ebtech. And did high frequency hiss as well as hum disappear also?

Matt_Doug

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not so sure they are different. They both break some ground. The Ebtech breaks signal ground with the pre/pro. The ground lift on my amp breaks signal ground with the amp. As long as signal ground is broken, no ground loop. Or am I missing something?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
if you want i'll give you an email address to the maker of the ebtech and you can get him to better define the way his product works. if i'm not mistaken, Phil tried an approach using a cheater plug on the amp.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I did not and would not try a cheater plug. The Sherwood AM-9080 has no signal ground lift switch that I know of. High frequency hiss is not affected. Sound is not affected at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks