What's new

Hum on Sub! (1 Viewer)

Kiko

Auditioning
Hi there,

I have a Velodyne CHT-12, and it makes a sort of hum noise when it's turned on. I tested and plugged it on a Panamax DBS 500 to see if the problem were in the eletrical supply (eletrical interference, harmonical distortion, etc...), but the hum remained. So I ask: Is it normal such a noise in subwoofers?

Thanks!

Anthony Vaz, Sao Paulo - Brazil

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
You mean just at the moment of turn on?

Or is it there all the time?

Did it just started doing it, or has it always been like that?

Kiko

Auditioning
Hi John,

The hum is present only when it's turned on. Since I've got it out of the box, it presented that noise. Does yours make any noise at all, or is it quiet as it can be?

Thanks,

Anthony Vaz

Adam_R

Second Unit
I had a similar problem with my SVS 20-39 PCi. I solved it by replacing the sub cable, which apparently was not properly shielded. You should do a search for "ground loop" and you'll get lots of threads with lots of things to try. Good luck!

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
The hum is present only when it's turned on. Since I've got it out of the box, it presented that noise. Does yours make any noise at all, or is it quiet as it can be?
I have a passive sub, so it's a different animal (no built in amp). Some amps will give an initial, mechanical "buzz" when they are first turned on.

Maybe other members that have this same make and model can tell us if theirs does this.

James Daniels

Auditioning
I had the same problem with my Cerwin Vega woofer. If you are using a one-way woofer cable, you might have the cable plugged in backwards. If that is not the problem, there might be too much power going into the plug and therefore you are having grounding issues. Look into those. Hope that this helps.

Kiko

Auditioning
Hi james,

The thing is that the continuoes even if no input cable has been plugged. Weird!

Anthony Vaz

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
If I remember correctly, the CHT model Velo's do not use a grounded plug, so a cheater would be of no use.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Although not recommended, I use one on my Samson S700 amp that powers my SVS. The cheater plug is plugged into my Monster HTS-3500 so I hope I am getting some protection still.
Sorry, Juan, a power conditioner will not “restore” a disconnected ground. A ground lift (aka “cheater plug”) is useful to see if you have a ground loop (which you probably do), but it would be best to track down the source of the loop and eliminate it.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Roger Kint

Stunt Coordinator
I've had a CHT10 which hummed and it turned out to be a defective amplifier mount. It really depends how loud the hum is. A little is normal, but too much is not. You'll have to talk to the Velodyne rep to figure it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks