Hum in speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Sorenson, Oct 12, 2001.

1. David Sorenson

David Sorenson Stunt Coordinator

I recently got a Rotel 965 receiver and paradigm studio 20's. I noticed a slight hum in the speakers, even with the volume turned to min. At Max it it louder. I don't remember hearing a hum on my old Marantz SR73 with Paradigm Mini Mk II's. What could be causing this?
    ------------------

2. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Looks like you have a ground loop in there somewhere. Possibly even coming from your cable.

3. David Sorenson

David Sorenson Stunt Coordinator

I'm not too familiar with ground loop problems. The cables used on the system are all good quality...better than the stuff I used to have.
    ------------------

4. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

I think he meant "cable" as in "cable TV", not the cabling you're using in your setup. Try disconnecting the "cable TV" cable and see if the hum goes away.

5. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

"Try disconnecting the "cable TV" cable and see if the hum goes away."
    If that doesn't work, buy a cheater plug for your amplifier cord. Just plug in the cheater, then to the wall and the buzz should be eliminated.
    Jeremy

6. Henry W

Henry W Stunt Coordinator

7. Chris Ryan

Chris Ryan Agent

What exactly is a "cheater plug"?
    Chris

8. Vasanth B

Vasanth B Stunt Coordinator

A "cheater plug" is nothing more than a 3 prong to 2-prong (ungrounded) adapter. It allows you to plug a grounded 3-prong device into a ungrounded 2-plug wall socket. This effectively cuts the ground wire when used with a normal 3-prong socket so that you eliminate the ground loop by opening the circuit.

9. Tom Morgan

Tom Morgan Stunt Coordinator

When using a cheater plug *be careful*. I would hate to see anyone get shocked just because they touched their amp and another component at the same time. I might use one for troubleshooting but I would not leave one on my equipment. Isn't it illegal in some locations for safety reasons to use cheater plugs? If you have cable TV and that is what is causing the hum, call the cable company, they should ground their stuff properly and I think they are required to by law. If that does not work I would try the isolation transformers on the cable line. If you have DSS the transformers will not work because it needs to pass DC for the Sat. rec. Good luck and stay safe.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Tom&Amy's DVD's