What's new

Hum from speakers (1 Viewer)

zachdini

Auditioning
Real Name
Zach
I recently decided to set up my first home theater. Usually I listen to music or watch movies on my computer through my computer speakers (Soundsticks II) but I bought a vinyl player and decided to run everything through an old receiver.
The problem is that the Soundsticks are computer speakers and one of the ways that I found to wire them to my receiver is through a series of adaptors. The speakers have a 3.5mm jack that is converted to RCA which is then converted to speaker wire, plugging into my receiver. The problem is that the speakers output a constant (low volume) hum even when the receiver is off. When I turn the receiver on, the hum's pitch increases but still stays low volume.
It's a pretty old receiver and I plan on getting a new one but I don't think that's the problem. Is there a better way of connecting my speakers to the receiver that would eliminate the hum?

ShowMeCables

Agent
Real Name
Paul
What about plugging in your computer speakers into the headphone jack of your stereo? If it is a 1/4", you can convert down to 3.5mm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks