What's new

Hum from speakers - Who's the Culprit - cheap RCA cables or grounding problem? (1 Viewer)

EGM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Galen
I believe I have this figured out, but wanted to check with our community on a humming issue that just sprung up on my system.

The setup:

Receiver: Denon 3805
TV: Samsung HDTV 1080p DLP
Blu Ray DVD: Sony BDP-S550 (HDMI to TV/analog out to 3805)
Satellite: DirectTV HD DVR Receiver (HDMI to TV/optical out)
Speakers: B&W 600s (602 s2 fronts, 601 s2 rear, CC6 S2 center, no sub)

Everything is plugged into the same surge protector.
Running fronts, surrounds and center from DVD player's multi channel outputs via RCA cables to allow S550 to handle audio decoding since the 3805 can't do it.

Except for the S550 (thank you Santa), everything in this system has been playing together nicely for the past 3-4 years. However, when I added the S550 to the mix, the speakers began to hum. I disconnected the RCA cables running from the S550 to the 3805 and *poof* no hum.

I used some basic RCA cables I had laying around as a stop-gap until my cables from Monoprice come in this week. Are these the weak link or do I have a grounding problem? Is there such a thing as a grounding problem with a DVD player? Forgive my ignorance, I've never encountered this issue before.

My gut tells me its the cables and that replacing them with some quality cables might solve the problem. However, I wanted to run it by some other HTers and get your opinions.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer.

EGM

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Could be the cables since they are an analog transmission method.

You can also try plugging the 550 into a different receptacle to see if the hum goes away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newyork333
Recent bookmarks