What's new

Hum....from new Denon 3802... (1 Viewer)

Shanthi

Stunt Coordinator
I got my Denon 3802 3 days ago and tried to hook up my sat receiver and my computer audio output and get a loud hum on my speakers.
Does anybody had a problem like this and any solution is greatly appreciated?
Thanks
Shanthi

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Shanthi: Yes, apparently some of the 3802's do have a bit of a hum.
BUT, you really need to make sure that it's not a ground loop hum (or any other outside interference causing it.)
Try unhooking everything from your receiver except for your speakers (everything, including the AM and FM antennae.) If you still have your hum, then you indeed have what this thread is talking about. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/044350.html
In my case, the level of hum is pretty low. Low enough that I'm not going to do anything about mine. But the hum is there...
------------------

Will_S

Auditioning
I read the other post, is there any kind ratio on how many 3802's have this problem, all of them, 1 in 10, etc. I'm asking because i am most likely buing one online in the next week or so and returning a unit to an online retailer is a hassle i wish to avoid.

Thomas F

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 3802 that is dead quiet. I have it connected to a Panasonic RV31 and an Echostar satellite receiver through optical interconnects. I have put my ear up to each of my speakers and do not detect any hum at all.
Denon AVR-3802
Panasonic RV31
Echostar 4700
Paradigm Studio Reference 40's - fronts
Paradigm Studio Reference Studio/CC - center
Paradigm Studio Reference 40's - surrounds
Paradigm PW-2200 - subwoofer

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
I have installed nine of these in the past month in different HTs and have not heard a hum in any of them. I guess this means the next one will be a service problem
wink.gif
------------------
Link Removed
My Home Theater Pics
My Equipment List
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

Mike_P

Agent
Two of the big causes of a hum are light dimmers, motors, refrigerators, etc., on the same circuit and ground loops. It's quite common for the loop to be in the antenna feed fom a satellite dish. Try disconnecting it for a minute to see if the hum goes away. You can also try your receiver on a different circuit with a long extension cord. You can also try a "cheater", which is one of those adapters that you plug your 3 pronged plug into and there are only 2 coming out. This will "lift" the ground and will confirm you have a ground loop if the hum goes away. This is only for diagnosing the problem, don't leave it that way. Find the places in your system that have different grounds, and connect everything to the same ground. If everything has the same ground, there is no voltage difference between them, and no more ground loop.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Will: I would not want to speculate on just how many 3802's may have a hum problem. It may be 1 in 10,000 (or even fewer) for all I know.
If you are buying from a reputable source, I would not worry. If you have a problem, the dealer should take care of you.
(FWIW, in my own situation, ANY ambient noise will mask the hum. So, it's not very noticeable. Many users might not even notice it (but it is there...)
------------------
[Edited last by Chuck Kent on October 05, 2001 at 05:41 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks