Hum Filter For Breaker Panel?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jay Mitchosky, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I'm wondering if such a product exists. I recently moved into a new house where in the upstairs great room is tiny system with in-ceiling speakers. The equipment area has dedicated electrical discrete from any other circuits yet I'm getting a hum from the speakers. It seems to be related to when certain dimmers are on. I had expected ground loops or interference would not be a problem with the dedicated circuit. Is there a filter that I could install at the breaker panel for the dedicated electrical that would eliminate this? Other suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

I'm actually surprised that you have this problem when your equipment is on a dedicated circuit. Is the dimmer noise coming from one particular circuit, or do you have dimmers scattered about the house that seem to be equally offensive? I'm not sure a breaker-box-mounted filter, if you could find one, would do any good for this siutation. Most are probably designed to filter noise coming in from the grid. Some bypass caps between hot/neutral and ground might help, but you really don't want to be hanging stuff on the main busses (not breaker protected). You'd need to decide which circuits you wanted to put filters on... and in the end, putting a filter on the circuit as it goes out to the equipment isn't as good as a filter at the equipment area. Maybe the best solution a good ol' line filter at the equipment or change the dimmers. [​IMG]

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Jay,

You’re getting the hum because the lighting circuits using the dimmers are on the same phase (or service leg) as the dedicated circuit. So you need to get any lighting circuits where dimmers are used off the phase that’s carrying the HT circuit.

Or you could look into getting a different dimmer. I think some types are more prone to causing noise than others.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer