Hum bar on screen when watching DVDs

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Tom Marell, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Tom Marell

Tom Marell Auditioning

A few days ago, I purchased a Panasonic SC-HT900 and have it hooked up through component connections to my Sony KV27FS210 TV (about 3 months old).

Picture/sound quality is great except for one thing - when watching DVDs (and only with DVDs) a hum bar (black bar) slowly scrolling from the bottom to top of the screen. This does not happen when watching cable TV.

I did research and figured this might be a ground loop issue caused by my cable TV. I tried disconnecting my cable from the wall and the TV but it made no difference. I tried plugging the TV and the Subwoofer into the same wall outlet - again no difference.

I would be happy to buy one of the Jensen cable isolators/transformers if I thought this would fix the prob but if its the cable, wouldn't unplugging the cable have fixed the problem?

If anyone can offer any insight or advice I would be very grateful! I have put a call into Panasonic who are "researching the issue" and will get back to me...

2. John S

John S Producer

What Component Cables? I have seen many of the "Included" compnent cables allow to much interference in. When asked to help with such issues, it is the first place I look, I usually try both better cables and a re-route of the cables as well. So far about 90% of the time, this alone takes care of it, especially when it is only seen on DVD / HDTV input.

On a cheaper cable note, I have had great success with GE cables. $20 for a 12' cable makes them a way winner on cost.

3. Tom Marell

Tom Marell Auditioning

I am using Monster Cable component connections (model MOC THXV100CV4). One other thing I forgot to mention is that I tried disconnecting those and just going through a regular yellow video connection - the problem was still there. I don't know if that is at all helpful for the analysis? Thanks for your time though, I appreciate it

Tom

4. John S

John S Producer

Hmnmm, the next step...

Disconnect everything.. Is it still there????

If so, try moving the set temporarily to another part of the house.

Could still be some sort of ground issue though, at that point you would have to test the outlet, for proper polarity, ground voltage, ect..ect...

Or it could just be the set, in that case it would have to be looked at by a tech. Sounds like some sort of interference for sure though.

5. Tom Marell

Tom Marell Auditioning

Thanks - I'm tending towards thinking it is a ground issue - a total disconnect save TV/DVD/Subwoofer didn't seem to fix the problem.

It will be interesting to hear what Panasonic say - the fact it didn't affect my old DVD player (connected the same way) makes me think the TV is probably okay...?

If anyone has knowhow/experience of the Jensen transformer/cable isolator solutions to these issues it would be much appreciated...

6. John S

John S Producer

Well heck, it could just be the new DVD player.. Can you hook it to something else temporarily?

7. Tom Marell

Tom Marell Auditioning

Very true - I have an old TV which I will dig out tonight and try. Will post an update. Many thanks again

8. Tom Marell

Tom Marell Auditioning

Thought I should post an update in case anyone else has this problem with the SC-HT900 ... I took the DVD player part of the package back to the store (J&R in NYC - great store) who happily replaced it... and the new DVD player works perfectly.

Don't know if the hum bar is a known problem with this model or whether I just had a rare bad one before.

Tom