What's new

Hum and muting it (1 Viewer)

I realize there have been other areas that touched on this subject but I have a "slightly" different angle.
I have a Pioneer 45tx and I started noticing a hum. Can't recall if it just showed up or its been there for awhile. I know it has just recently annoyed me. I have a dedicated outlect for my system. I use (good or bad) Monster 5100 conditioner. No cable tv hooked up. The hum can be halted when I use the "mute" feature on the receiver. Volume has nothing to do with it. Doesn't matter if it is up or down volume of hum is exactly the same. Any ideas?
Thank you

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
So you're just using the receiver and no amps. No cable is hooked up at all? IOW there's no cable going to the TV and the receiver isn't hooked up in some way to the TV also. Got any dimmers or fluorescents or halogens in the room?

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator
In my case it was ceiling fans on the same circuit causing hum, mostly in center channel. Your hum still sounds like a ground loop problem...

No, I have tried to isolate the stereo as best as possible from any other device such as fans etc etc. The tv is not hooked up to the receiver at all. I use the tv as a monitor only which is hooked up via component direct from the dvd player. I also have turned all devices i could find such as ceiling fans etc etc. We installed a 3 prong grounded outlet commercial grade and rand the cable directly to its own fuse within the panel. It has become quite enigmatic and rather frustrating. Oh, I also turned of all other components suchg as cd player, dvd etc etc and it was still there. So basicaly the problem persists even with only the receiver on. The hum can be heard in all speakers. This is what led me to believe it was a ground but I dont know how to improve what seems to be a good ground etc.

No flourescents, or dimmers in the house at all.
Also, what has me really perplexed is the fact that if i select MUTE on the receiver the hum is gone. So maybe there is an internal problem with the receiver? It isnt that old but I know that means nothing

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron,

have you tried disconnecting all inputs plus the sub and video outs from the receiver, so the only cables connected to it are the ones going to the speakers? If the hum disappears when you do this it is a simple matter to reconnect each device, one by one, until the hum returns.

Marty

Matt_Doug

Stunt Coordinator
back to back 75 ohm to 300ohm and 300ohm to 75ohm antenna transfomers from radio shack between my cable box and TV got rid of hum in my system,...good luck.

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
I would do as Marty suggested. If you are using digital coax and/or rca connections between DVD player and receiver, I would try disconnecting that first.

JohnS

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Aaron, I had a buzz problem when I hooked a new Paradigm PW2100 sub to my setup or if I ran a Digital coax from DVD player to my pre/pro. To solve the problem I used an optical cable to solve the dvd to pre/pro buzz. But I still got the buzz when hooked up the sub. My pre/pro has a cable hookup for the FM. I ran a cable from this too my surge protector and the buzz disappeared.

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks