Huh....I never made the connection!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by chad ruwe, Nov 30, 2002.

1. chad ruwe

chad ruwe Auditioning

I have an Denon AVR-1600 receiver. Flipping through the manual I noticed a mode entitled " 6ch ext. in" . It goes on to say 'connect the output of the external DTS decoder etc. to this unit's 6ch ext in'. This brought up a question. What is this? When I play a DVD and turn it on to this mode, I get no sound. Do I have a DTS endcoder or did I not hook something up correctly? I currently watch DVD's using the "Dolby surround" mode. What is this 6channel mode?????????

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Your receiver does not decode DTS. This mode is for use with an external DTS decoder -- either standalone or included in the circuitry of a DVD player. It requires 6 separate connections from the DTS decoder to the receiver.

M.

3. Mike*Gillgannon

Mike*Gillgannon Auditioning

The cable and connector companies must love this stuff. [​IMG]
    --Mike

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Chad,

Check the FAQ & Primer for the post about the purpose of 6 channel input and outputs.

I check on the AVR-1600- and it does offer Dolby Digital decoding, but not DTS. You can get 5.1 surround from dolby 5.1 discs as long as you are connected using a digital connection between the receiver and DVD player. However- the Receiver cannot decode DTS- so if you select DTS from a DVD your receiver could not handle it.

Denon was smart and included a 6 channel input in case you added a DTS decoder to your system (a device which would take the incoming DTS signal and pass out the 6 channels of analog audio- which you could then connect to your receiver). You could also use these 6 inputs in conjunction with a DVD player that has internal DTS converters.

Again- check out the FAQ and PRIMER document where this has been covered-- it should help you on this, and other issues.

-V

5. chad ruwe

chad ruwe Auditioning

Thanks!