What's new

3D Blu-ray Review Hugo Blu-Ray 3D Review (1 Viewer)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Well, since you made such an in-depth and insightful argument, it's hard to disagree

Originally Posted by trajan /t/318900/hugo-blu-ray-3d-review/60#post_3905420
Very overated film.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
I found no interest in any of these characters, what they did, why they did it or who they were. I have no idea who this movie was directed toward. I think children would find it boring as I did within the first twenty minutes. After that I had no real interest in what was to follow.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
My wife and I are finally going to see this tonight, in RealD 3D, at the $2/$4 second-run house in Irvine!

Techman707

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Sanders
Without commenting on the film itself, which I found just okay, I found the 3D and photography and effects the best I've seen to date. As a former projectionist, I've run all the different incarnations of 3D over the years (two projector polarized, side by side anamorphic and top over bottom) and all have caused eye strain to most people. However, Hugo not only is the best I've seen, but, it caused no eye strain....at least for me.
The thing I found different from most of the other films is that EVERY SCENE is fully 3 dimensional, not just the "coming at ya" scenes. While I was never a big fan of 3D and thought this current fad would pass, after seeing this film, I'm not so sure. Hugo has proved, at least to me, that it's possible to make a 3D film that's really 3D.
As to the comments I've seen in this thread that referred to ghosting, that has nothing to do with the film itself, only the equipment it's displayed on. On front projection, 3D DLP, LCoS or Plasma TVs, they do not exhibit ghosting, however, most LCD front projection or plain TVs I've seen do.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
When properly presented and shown both in sync and in phase, the 1950's features were beautifully photographed.
Bob

Techman707

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Sanders
Bob Furmanek said:
When properly presented and shown both in sync and in phase, the 1950's features were beautifully photographed.
Bob
Not quite as good as Hugo.:) In addition, if you had a film break you had to put slugs in, so people would see the black flash.:(

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Black slugs? You're preaching to the choir, Bruce. :)
I found and re-combined 35mm left/right prints of 30 Golden Age features!
Bob

Techman707

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Sanders
Bob Furmanek said:
Black slugs? You're preaching to the choir, Bruce. :)
I found and re-combined 35mm left/right prints of 30 Golden Age features!
Bob
With everything being supplied to theatres today on hard drives, maybe it's the end of film breaks and black slugs.:D Actually, I'm very sad about digital instead of film. It's just going to make it more difficult for old restored theatres that run repertory. Even if they have the DCI equipment, some are just too large for today's 2K digital.
EASTMAN KODAK FILM - R.I.P. :(

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
I have just procured a 3D copy of this fine film for my birthday. I look forward to watching it via my incoming OPPO BDP-93, which is due for arrival in the coming weeks ahead, during my birthday party in June. :D

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Tina, Happy Birthday wishes to you!!!

What an incredible gift combination --- a copy of Hugo in 3D to play on
the best 3D Blu-ray player on the market.

Be prepare to be blown away!

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Woah. I'm seeing a lot of ghosting/cross-talk and never noticed that before. And I have Avatar 3D, the Toy Story trilogy, Beauty and The Beast, Lion King, Rio, Tron: Legacy and never really noticed it before. Have a Panny 3D Plasma and blu-ray player.

Checked and ruled out ambient lighting, made sure the plasma screen was clean and unsmudged. Glasses fully charged. Very odd...

It appears the ghosting appears on fringing high contrast areas. My plasma is using the James Cameron THX 3D setting parameters he published when the Panasonic Avatar 3D bundle came out.

Loved the film.

Update: just picked up Pirates 4. The 3D convergence was perfect. Zero crosstalk - or actually I noticed ONE shot, that of a crescent moon, where the sliver was slightly doubled. I believe something is amiss with the 3D Hugo disc.

Jon Lidolt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon Lidolt
There's nothing wrong with the Hugo 3D disc contrary to what some of the websites have been going on about. The ghosting is caused by the liquid crystal glasses. For instance when the right eye image is to be viewed, the filter over the left eye darkens and vice versa. Unfortunately, the filters are unable to totally block the image and very bright highlights laid against a dark area will often bleed through.

Real Name
Robin Frank
Ronald Epstein said:
Things move a little slowly on this end these days....
Just finished watching the 3D release of HUGO this morning
and I have a few thoughts to give about it...
First of all, there has been conflicting reviews about this release
concerning the amount of crosstalk (ghosting) in it.  Obviously,
Neil's review doesn't give any mention of such ghosting.  Member
reviews that follow don't either.  However, the review over at BD.COM
suggests this film is almost unwatchable because of the amount
of crosstalk present.
Watching it on my 55" Panasonic showed some minor ghosting in a few scenes. It certainly was nowhere near "unwatchable", not even mildly annoying. Martin Scrocese is giving James Cameron good comptition in the field of 3D movies.
I also watched it in 2D. 2D wasn't nearly as enjoyable as 3D. If Hollywood can give us more 3D like this, rather than the poor attempt at Star Wars Episode I, 3D will have a bright future. I'll be going to see Titanic is 3D. If anyone can retrofit a movie in 3D, Cameron can.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Originally Posted by Jon Lidolt /t/318900/hugo-blu-ray-3d-review/60#post_3913687
There's nothing wrong with the Hugo 3D disc contrary to what some of the websites have been going on about. The ghosting is caused by the liquid crystal glasses. For instance when the right eye image is to be viewed, the filter over the left eye darkens and vice versa. Unfortunately, the filters are unable to totally block the image and very bright highlights laid against a dark area will often bleed through.
I'm curious if the Hugo disc was mastered/encoded with different luminance values than other Blu-ray 3D titles making highlights more problematic. Might this then explain why there is little to no crosstalk on all my other 3D titles viewed on the same system?

About 10 or 11 slides into Mastering For 3D by Matt Cowan, Chief Scientific Officer at RealD, there is a reference to "lower luminance" for image optimization. Later on there is reference to "ghost pre-compensation."

All I know is this is my only 3D title with distracting crosstalk issues.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
HUGO is very similar to 3-D titles from the 1950's. There is a LOT of depth and you are seeing a true three-dimensional movie.
So many of the new films (Tin TIn, Pirates, etc) have little depth, they might as well be flat. Less depth = less double image and less ghosting/crosstalk. Perhaps that's why you're noticing a problem with HUGO and none of the other titles?
On my passive Vizio display and Sony player, there are only one or two brief shots with ghosting throughout the entire feature. If people are seeing double-images with HUGO, they will most likely have the same problem with any vintage 3-D title that was shot with a dual-camera rig with a great deal of depth.
Bob

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Felix Martinez /t/318900/hugo-blu-ray-3d-review/60#post_3913806
I actually read an interview with James Cameron today about his conversion of Titanic, and he claimed that the amount of 3D depth was carefully controlled and deliberately limited with Avatar. He said that the amount of depth was cranked up for the new 3D Titanic to make the lavishness of the ship more demonstrative.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
servergmr
Recent bookmarks