What's new

3D Blu-ray Review Hugo Blu-Ray 3D Review (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I did not notice any crosstalk. Then again, I wasn't looking for it.
Maybe this is a (positive) side effect of the Oppo BDP-93 and a 3D DLP HDTV.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Bob Furmanek said:
I only saw one or two moments of brief ghosting on my Vizio display. If their reviewer saw more, there is something wrong with their set up.
Having seen 40 of the 50 Golden Age 3-D features (and many from the 70's and 80's too) I have to say that HUGO is one of the finest 3-D movies I have ever seen. The photography, composition and attention to the stereoscopic image is outstanding. Scorsese's study of the 1950's features is applauded and obvious when viewing his use of depth and overall approach to 3-D.
VERY highly recommended!
Bob
Glad you finally saw it!
"I'd know the sound of a projector anywhere." - Ben Kingsley (Pete wipes tear from eye...)

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
I saw this one in the movies and yes, it's definitely better than The Artist (though The Artist was a good movie to be fair). It's also a Top 10 3D movie IMHO, easily ranking alongside the classics of the 1950s like Kiss Me Kate and Dial M For Murder.
Bob, is your Vizio the passive glasses Vizio? That's the one I'm looking into getting. Also, how did the 3D effect of Cohen leaning ever so subtly closer at the audience play out on TV? It's a helluva effect in the theaters, one of those 3D effects you aren't even aware of as it's happening. In fact, it may be the very best 3D effect ever done!

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
I saw this one in the movies and yes, it's definitely better than The Artist (though The Artist was a good movie to be fair). It's also a Top 10 3D movie IMHO, easily ranking alongside the classics of the 1950s like Kiss Me Kate and Dial M For Murder.
Bob, is your Vizio the passive glasses Vizio? That's the one I'm looking into getting. Also, how did the 3D effect of Cohen leaning ever so subtly closer at the audience play out on TV? It's a helluva effect in the theaters, one of those 3D effects you aren't even aware of as it's happening. In fact, it may be the very best 3D effect ever done!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Todd J Moore said:
Also, how did the 3D effect of Cohen leaning ever so subtly closer at the audience play out on TV? It's a helluva effect in the theaters, one of those 3D effects you aren't even aware of as it's happening. In fact, it may be the very best 3D effect ever done!
The rim of his hat extended forward in the frame. Very cool.
Kinda like the doberman's snout extended forward at times.
I'd be curious for Ron to review Hugo so that it can take its place in the top 15 blu-ray 3D titles. It certainly ranks high.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Kenneth_C said:
It wasn't only their main reviewer, however. There are several User Reviews which also mention the ghosting on this title. One even thinks Paramount should recall it.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Hugo-3D-Blu-ray/35630/#UserReviews
Several? More like 3.
Placebo effect? Bad equipment? My eyes weren't crossing at any time watching this on a 73-inch Mitsubishi DLP display and Oppo BDP-93.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Like Steve, I saw no such issues. Admittedly my 73-inch Mitsubishi DLP display was just last week calibrated by the fine people at Lion A/V.

I maintain that this one one of the absolute finest representations of 3D currently available (in my mind, second only to Avatar, but it's reeeeeal close)!

Originally Posted by Steve Tannehill /t/318900/hugo-blu-ray-3d-review#post_3902346
Several? More like 3.
Placebo effect? Bad equipment? My eyes weren't crossing at any time watching this on a 73-inch Mitsubishi DLP display and Oppo BDP-93.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I wonder if there is something inherent in DLP technology that makes it less-prone to crosstalk?
BTW, I also have Avatar, and it is too close to call whether or not Hugo is better.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Todd J Moore said:
Bob, is your Vizio the passive glasses Vizio? That's the one I'm looking into getting.
Hi Todd,
Nice to hear from you again!
I just got the Vizio E3D47OVX which uses passive glasses and I'm using the Sony S480 Blu-ray player. This combo was suggested by Greg Kintz, Technical Director for the 3-D Film Archive.
The quality is outstanding with just a few brief moments of ghosting and it's always the traditional light object against a dark background which creates it. This same ghosting would be evident in the very best 35mm Polaroid presentation as well.
I would rank HUGO along with HOUSE OF WAX, DIAL M FOR MURDER, INFERNO and KISS ME KATE as one of the best photographed/designed 3-D films of all time.
Bob

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
HUGO is definitely a 3D masterpiece.
Thanks for answering about the type of TV. I'm upgrading to a 3D TV this year, what with JAWS 3D and DIAL M FOR MURDER coming out in 3D Blu (and hopefully HOUSE OF WAX, too!) and I was considering the Vizio Passive Glasses set up. I just got a Vizio 3D Blu Ray Player, so I'm set for when I get the TV.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
The good side of the TV's with passive glasses is they are light, inexpensive and you can tilt your head and still get 3D. The bad side is you are only getting half the resolution of LED LCD TV's with electronic glasses.

GregK

Screenwriter
Steve Tannehill, you are correct: DLP 3-D displays have "virtually" zero crosstalk. As Bob Furmanek noted, even theatrical polarized can have very slight ghosting under the right conditions.
To be clear, 3-D BluRays do NOT have crosstalk issues. To date, I have yet to find even one. With today's 3-D formats, crosstalk issues most often are display related, and sometime to a lesser degree, 3-D glasses related. Every 3-D display can have crosstalk with the right torture test material. The big x-factor is how much.
There are many aspects to 3-D displays, but when discussing crosstalk, DLPs in general do the best. Plasmas tend to fall into 2nd place. I've found Vizio's passive LCD panels also have very low crosstalk and I would say can tie 2nd with many of the better made 3-D plasmas. LEDs tend to fall into 3rd place. Please note again these are generalizations, as it's possible for a given display manufacturer to do something in a given category to make given display a little better or worse. I've seen some poor looking 3D plasma displays, for example.
This may be slightly upsetting to some that any crosstalk issues are likely inherent in their given display, but I would suggest looking at it with this mindset: Every display has it's positives and negatives. Some displays have poor black levels, so a dimly lit movie transferred correctly will not look as good on displays with poor black levels. The same can be said to a lesser degree with color variances, and how well a given display handles a given color gamut and uniform saturation with certain colors. Some will do better, others will not. And of course, not every movie highlights these display deficiencies, so some shortcomings we can accept and live with. Certain people will notice said deficiencies, while others will not, or simply can ignore them. Going full circle to 3-D and crosstalk, if you don't see crosstalk a majority of the time, I personally wouldn't worry. But if you are always noticing crosstalk on a regular basis or when it does occur and it's something hard for one to ignore, then I would recommend low crosstalk being a very higher priority for your next 3-D purchase. For those who would want to try to tweak on their present 3-D displays, lowering contrast can often help. It's worth noting many 3D displays will crank up the contrast when in the 3-D mode. A contrast boost may help with light loss, but may also increase ghosting. So when doing contrast adjustments, do it with the 3-D mode engaged.
This is a cursory rundown, as different 3-D displays, ghosting, and how 3-D content differs can EASILY be multiple topics in their own right. So to wrap up and not derail this thread, I think it's a very safe bet to say Mr Scorsese's HUGO was mastered to 3-D Bluray specifications. I personally can't wait to see it.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Thanks for the info, Greg. I wish that people would state their review equipment so that we could track trends in display issues.
As it stands, Hugo 3D has no deficiencies, and is what I would call a perfect disc.

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
TonyD said:
Wow, you must have loved this movie to add to the discussion withnly your tenth post in five years.
Actually, it's worse than that. I first joined in 2000 or early 2001 when I was researching a replacement for my front projection TV. I ended up with a Sony KP61-HS10 (which I still have and need to sell). Anyhow I couldn't remember my username/password combination so I rejoined after several years of hiatus. Since I've retired I have plenty of time to read this forum, but not as much money to spend on things that are recommended. :(
But you're right, I really loved this movie. Probably my favorite 3D experience ever in the theater, and an excellent movie period. Probably not in my all time top ten, but excellent nonetheless.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
These issues with some displays exhibiting crosstalk/ghosting is going to make it that much harder to get studios interested in digging into the catalog, especially if a perfect disc like HUGO gets complaints and recall demands.
Bob

Kenneth_C

Second Unit
Steve Tannehill said:
Several? More like 3.
several (adjective) - "being more than two but less than many in number or kind"
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/several
Sorry you have a problem with my accurate use of the English language.
On topic: I only mentioned the several other reviews that complained about ghosting because I was trying to make an informed decision whether to buy the disc myself. I have done so (based on the input here) and am currently awaiting its arrival.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Food for thought:
1. Crosstalk can cause ghosting, but ghosting is not always a result of crosstalk.
2. Almost every 3D display has some degree of crosstalk which can also be below visibility levels.
3. Ghosting is display dependent, crosstalk is not.
The term crosstalk is used often for describing the perception of the remnants of combined images on one screen where a more relevant term would be ghosting. Ghosting accurately describes the perception of seeing 3D remnant anomalies that two images produce when they are combined on a single screen. Crosstalk on the other hand, can be a result from physical causes such as cable connection interference causing contamination to the authoring process or to the media hardware or imbedded in the software. The result can often be referred to as noise.
Example: Head Mounted 3D Displays have zero ghosting because two images are not produced on one screen, but they can have crosstalk issues affecting their discrete images.
Paul

Real Name
Robin Frank
Yes, Hugo is a masterpiece that should have won best picture and best director. This is how 3D movies should be made. I think it proves that making a 3D movie from scratch is the only way to go. Star Wars in 3D was such a disappointment and I hear that Titanic is going to be worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hebesk
Recent bookmarks