What's new

Hughes Titan HDTV box........ (1 Viewer)

JoelC

Stunt Coordinator
Just got off the phone with a dealer that said they would be getting these in next week? Anybody heard another rumored date? Would this "mate" well with a Pioneer Elite 510? They are pretty much the same as the Toshiba box I believe. The price is $679 for an existing customer and comes with "high end" cables an extra $300 value.

JoelC

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Joe, I have not ordered yet....have you ever ordered from Value Electronics? They seemed a little "weird" when I spoke to them over the phone. I asked what brand of cable came with the system and they are supposed to call me back, but I haven't heard from them yet. Do you know the brand of cable? Thanks

JoelC

Stunt Coordinator
Just spoke with the deal and he said the units have shipped to them, and they should be shipping them out by Monday 2/5???

Dean Kaye

Auditioning
Joe, I just wanted to thank you for the E-mail! I spoke with the same dealer you guys did and I signed myself up. I really thought it to be a great deal! For 679 you get the dish, set top box and cables!... Every place I checked Was selling the Tosh DST3200 for at least 900 and that more often than not didn't include the dish. As far as I can figure the hughes and the Tosh share basically the same componentes. I think the Tosh has on screen caller Id.. big deal!!! besides when I'm watching a 1080I brodcast, I'd prefer not to have an annoying phone number on my screen!.. Again, thanks a bunch.. Now lets keep our fingers crossed and hoe that http://www.valueelectronics.com can actually deliver as promised!
Dean

Dave Bach

Auditioning
I can't seem to find any technical info on the Hughes Titan... is it similar to the Panasonic TU-HDS20 and the SONY SAT-HD100?
Anyone have an informative link?
Dave

Jim Ferguson

Stunt Coordinator
It is similar (basically identical) to the new Toshiba and Mitsubishi boxes. I just got mine this afternoon, but haven't hooked it up yet.

Dave Bach

Auditioning
Jim,
Did you get it through the afforementioned valueelectronics, or elsewhere? If not, I'd be interested to know where you got it and how much you paid (if you wouldn't mind).
Also, would you happen to know if it has a D-VHS output like the Hughes models before it.
Thanks,
Dave

Dave Bach

Auditioning
Oooof!
I just called Value Electronics to order a Titan E86 and I was informed that there was a price increase to $799 for the box! They are taking pre-orders, but do not have the box in yet... they anticipate next week.
I believe if you got your order in at $679 though, you're covered. Lucky bastids :)
Dave

Jim Ferguson

Stunt Coordinator
I got this unit for "free" because I participated in the beta test.
Got it set up on Monday, and so far it seems to be on a par with its brothers in the Mitsubishi and Toshiba lines, which makes sense.
The main feature I miss on this unit compared to the RCA DTC100 is the separate antenna inputs for off-air reception.

Jim Ferguson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Joe,
Guess I should update my profile. I actually live in Annandale, but work in Tyson's, which is in Vienna by zip code anyway...
I have two rooftop antennas. One is a fixed Winegard UHF/VHF antenna. I use this for WUSA and WETA. The other is a rotor-mounted ChannelMaster, which I use for WTTG, WJLA (blech) and WRC.
I have lots of trouble in my location because I'm on the downslope of a heavily wooded hill. Some of my near neighbors get great reception, including the Baltimore channels, but I'm just in a bad spot.

Dave Bach

Auditioning
Hmmm...
So the Hughes E86 doesn't have OTA antenna inputs? I guess I assumed it did what other boxes coming to market did.
I think because the cost of this box has gone back up to the cost of the SONY SAT HD 100, and since neither is available as I write this, I might be changing my direction to the Sony.
Which leads me to a new question... that I will start a new topic for rather than bog this one down with off-topic stuff.
Dave

Dean Kaye

Auditioning
Well, after a month and a half of delays I'm told the E86 is due in at Valueelectronics today. (yeah, we've all heard that story before) I'm keeping my fingers crossed! The dealer said that if all goes as planed they would be shipping them out today and tomorrow. Has anyone else received their E86, besides Mr. Freguson? If so, any comments on its performance and setup..
Dean

Neal_C

Second Unit
I ordered from Value Electronics also...also told they would arrive Tuesday and get shipped..lets all hope so..I don't really wanna bring a dish installer out and not have all the equipment.
Seems like a very good deal though...free cables (who knows if its 300 bucks, but atleast it saves from having to buy permanent cables now or temp cables). The one guy I talked to was very nice and very informative. I should be getting my dish and extra receiver on Tuesday or Wednesday...I love UPS tracking.
Neal

Dean Kaye

Auditioning
This is for all those who got in on the E86 order from Value Electronics prior to the price increase back in February!!!
I just got a call from Robert at Value Electronics telling me that he had the E86 STB in and was ready to ship it! At last!! We've been waiting for this thing for 2 months. Then came the hitch.. I knew it was too good to be true.. He is charging me 799 instead of the 679 that his website listed when I originally ordered it back in the end of January. I told him that I had placed my order with him at 679 and I expected him to honor it at that price. He came back with something like it was never offered at 679. I just wanted to find out if anyone else had this happen to them! I'd like to hear from those that got it at this price and those that didnt. I'm not at al happy about this.. I already received the dish (which is still in the box)and was charged 249 for that. I'll send it back if I have to... it seems like this is a bait and hook type of scam... If Value Electronics doesnt honor our agreed upon price of 679 I'm going to slam them in every hometheater / sattelite forum I can find on the web and I'm going to make sure Direct TV knows all about the games Value Electronics are playing with potential Direct TV customers!
Phew... Yes I'm just a tad bit hot under the collar!!
I felt something like this was going to happen
Dean

Dean Kaye

Auditioning
Well after two days of researching, emailing and waiting, Robert from Value Electronics has agreed to ship me the E86 at the package price of $679. IT would seem that he runs an honorable business after all and I *DO* highly recommend Value Electronics and specfically Robert. He let me know that I was getting the complete system at $20 below his cost so I offered to throw in the extra $20 so he doesnt totally lose out on the deal. He was taken so aback by my generosity that he offered to throw in either another RF-Remote ($40 value) or a good sattelite surge protector. I opted for the surge protector as I am currently using a cheap power strip with no protection for the coax cable or the phone line. All in all I had a pleasant experience with Value Electronics and would have no problem buying from them in the future.

JoelC

Stunt Coordinator
Please let us know how these "$300" cables are thatr come with the Hughes from Value Electronics. I am trying to get them to knock $100 off and have them keep them.

Neal_C

Second Unit
Well, got my Titan in today from ValueElectronics. The cables, I hate to say, are a far cry from being worth 300 bucks. They are actually pre-packaged and come from Hughes. They advertise there is a s-video cable, but I didn't get one. The component cable is, in my opinion, not professional grade at all. It is made with RG-59 cable but does have golf plated connectors. Its probably not terrible, but not great either. The optical cable is quite thin and looks like it could be very easily kinked; it shouldn't be to bad though for temporary use. The RCA cables are tied together with the component cable.
I hooked up the box with the component cables and inputed my cable signal. I haven't setup directv or antenna because I haven't moved yet. But since it will accept a cable provider signal, I went ahead and plugged it in, mainly to make sure it was working and so I could tinker a bit with my settings on the HD input. The upconverted signal probably isn't to bad, once I fix the convergence, geometry, overscan, centering on that input using AVIA.
All in all, there is really no bonus to getting the cables..they seem to just be simple factory cables. I guess the only bonus would be that they will tie me over until I go out and buy higher grade cables. Plus, atleast you can hook it up without having to buy cables before hand.
These are just my opinions.
Did anyone get the advertised s-video cable with their shipment?
Neal

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
So has anyone used theirs yet? I'm looking into this STB and I've been happy with Hughes units in the past. Any thoughts?
Thanks.
~~Nathan
------------------
...just lost drunken men who don't know where they are and no longer care.

Neal_C

Second Unit
I just got mine hooked up about 3 days ago. It works wonderfully. No major heat problem, it gets warm, but I keep in well ventilated and no problems so far (knock on wood). I live 45 miles from the towers in Dallas and am using a Channel Master 3019 about 25 feet above ground level and I a getting perfect reception of all local digital stations. Watched the Final Four Saturday night and it was wonderful. Can't wait for tonight for the final game and this weekend for the Masters.
Neal

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks