What's new

Hughes HDVR2 (1 Viewer)

Jim Far

Grip
I bought the Hughes HDVR2 and it works OK, but the video quality is worse than VCR on SLP. Is there anything I can do to improve the video???? This unit has an option for 4:3 OR 16:9 ratio and I have it set to 16:9 for my widescreen. Is this affecting quality?? Maybe I am getting too used to HD programming. :confused:

GordonL

Supporting Actor
Sounds like you need to calibrate your TV. Most TVs have the sharpness and contrast set too high and its effect is very noticeable. I'd recommend using something like Video Essentials or Avia to calibrate your TV to the correct levels.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
The 4:3/16:9 setting won't do anything; it's only for 16:9 broadcasts of which there are none, on the standard DirecTV channels.

You are using S-video out? Quality is really worse than VCR recording from the same satellite channels on your HD receiver? That's kind of surprising. S-video output of the same channels should be about equal between the receivers. (But sat local probably quite a bit worse than OTA digital local counterpart).

Jim Far

Grip
Gordon, where can I get the Video Essentials or the Avia. I have a Sony with an automatic convergence feature which they call "flash focus". I haven't done this for a couple of months. I will try this and see if this helps... I know a calibration would probably make a huge difference, though. All the HD broadcasts are awesome, but may be even better with calibration.

Jim Far

Grip
Stephen, I am using the S-video output...Maybe Gordon is right about calibration. I have never been impressed with the video quality on the non-HD Satellite channels with this TV. Maybe I'm asking too much to want a decent picture on standard and HD broadcasts from the 16:9 format???

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have a Sony with an automatic convergence feature which they call "flash focus".
That is just the beginning of a DIY calibration. VE will help you adjust contrast, brightness, sharpness, SVM, color and tint. If you are really adventurous, you can adjust overscan but that usually requires going into the service menu.

Also what channels are you watching? DirecTV varies compression by channel and sometimes show. So some channels will look better than others.

To expand on what Stephen said, the 16x9 setting will only have an effect on shows that are broadcast in 16x9 anamorphic. You will see some 16x9 letterbox programs on IFC, PPV, etc. but you will have to use one of your TV's stretch/zoom modes to get back to OAR.

-Robert

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
I have never been impressed with the video quality on the non-HD Satellite channels with this TV. Maybe I'm asking too much to want a decent picture on standard and HD broadcasts from the 16:9 format???
So is it about the same as your HD receiver's S-video out on the non-HD channels? Or is it worse? You can't really expect the DirecTivo to do anything more than equal the HD receiver in this regard.

Non-HD channels are pretty bad because they are compressing the hell out of them so that they can support lots of channels. Quantity gains them more subs than quality.

Jim Far

Grip
It appears to me the quality is about the same with live TV and Tivo recordings on the HDVR2...I am recording TBS and USA plus my local channels. I suppose the compression is probably the culprit...I am getting my HD signals from a Sony HDSAT200 connected via DVI. I have been switching between receivers to compare the standard signal and the Sony seems to look slightly better...of course I have it connected via the DVI verses the S-video on the Hughes. Any thoughts???

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The usual online retailers. Seach the Bargain area here for the best prices. DVE is under $20 while Avia is around $40. If you want to go all out and have it done professionally, it will be between $300 and $800.

-Robert

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Is the main complaint visibility of artifacts or low resolution? You won't be able to do much about the low resolution; they cut the resolution in encoding to be able to use lower bit rates.

Steve F M

Screenwriter
Go with the Digital Video Essentials(DVE). I have both Avia and DVE and the DVE is better for HDTV and also has formats to set up your Surround Sound Receiver in DD-EX and DTS-6.1. The DVE is also 1/2 the cost of the AVIA.

If you do not have Avia or DVE I would highly rec'd spending the money on either as they will make a big difference in your viewing pleasures. Most companies have the Brightness, Sharpness, and Contrast set way to high!

Hugo

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I have the opportunity to buy a brand new Hughes HDVR2 DirecTV TiVo Receiver, but the salesperson said that I need to activate the receiver calling directv. Can I just switch my current receiver with this one, or do I really need to activate it? By activating, I don't mean getting a monthly subscription. Thanks for the help.

Hugo

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Until you call DirecTV and give them the serial number of the receiver and the number on the access card, you have a very nice boat anchor. You can't just swap access cards since they are "married" to the receiver.

-Robert

Shayne Judge

Stunt Coordinator
I have the HD Hughes E86 Receiver. How complicated would it be to use it in conjunction with the HDVR2? Would I have to agree to another 12 months of Directv or would my current subscription with 8 months remaining suffice?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have the HD Hughes E86 Receiver. How complicated would it be to use it in conjunction with the HDVR2?
It's no problem at all. I have 3 lines from my dish to my TV. One to my E-86 and one to my DirecTivo. Each one is plugged into a different input on the TV. It comes in handy when I am recording 2 shows and watching a third in HD.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks