What's new

Hughes "gold" box, RF in...ONLY output thru coax!??!?!?!? (1 Viewer)

Bill Adlhoch

Stunt Coordinator
To me, the extra RF input is useless because you can ONLY send its output out via the Coaxial cable and not the video outputs
I run all my outputs through my yamaha receiver, which doesnt have a coaxial input, so in effect this extra RF input is useless to me. I want to run ALL video and audio from this box though my reciever with (hopefully) no switching (wife simplicity factor)
I have the "gold" hughes box with 2 setsa out RCA outputs
are there other "basic" boxes (in the $50-100 range) that will allow the signal from the 2nd (extra) rf input to be output thru the RCA jacks? (i dont need dolby digital)
please let me know
BILL

Bob Jackson

Stunt Coordinator
Almost none of the DBS boxes have an OTA tuner in them. The coax is just a pass thru.
You can hook up a VCR downstream of the DBS box and set it to line input (or CH3) to watch DBS and tune the channel directly to watch cable.
Otherwise for DTV I think you need a HDTV box with OTA reception (which also picks up analog TV), like the RCA DTC-100. It runs $300-$600 bucks.

Jeff Brown

Auditioning
That sounds like the exact problem that I am trying to solve -- I have an antenna that picks up the local stations ... but how do I get it into my Yamaha receiver so that I can use my surround speakers for the sound. I looked for different antennas that had the RCA cables in the back but didn't find any.
I would love to work it through a Dish or DirectTV receiver so that I could then input the signal into my receiver.
What is "OTA" reception? Would the 501 PVR solve my dilemna?

GaryFoster

Auditioning
My DishNetwork 5000 and 6000(with the OTA card) receivers both have OTA ins that combine internally for a single blended output. Maybe Hughes has a higher end receiver that offers this as well.
Gary
------------------

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I don't have the gold. I have the platinum and my two RF in's are for the sat dish and OTA (or cable). Pressing the input button on the remote will switch them. I can't imagine that the golds are any different.
Glenn

Richard Donoghue

Auditioning
Glenn,
I just wanted to clarify your setup with you because I am looking at getting the platinum Hughes E45 receiver.
So when you hit the "input" button on the remote, the receiver switches its output from DSS channels to antenna channels. Is this only for the coaxial output of the E45 or is it also for the line outputs (RCA or S Video)?
Thanks.

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
Richard,
Please let me know if you end up getting a new Hughes E45, and what you are trying to do does indeed work. I've been looking for a solution to this problem in the 3 years I've had Directv. I know my current RCA set up will not pass the OTA signal to any other output besides the RF out. I need a receiver that takes the OTA RF input and can send it out through the S-video or composite.

Richard Donoghue

Auditioning
Mark,
I should have mine delivered and installed within the next 10 days. I'll let you know how it all works out.
[Edited last by Richard Donoghue on August 17, 2001 at 02:17 PM]

Richard Donoghue

Auditioning
Well, the install took a little longer than I had thought, but I got my E45s hooked up. I only have the S video outputs hooked up and the RF output is not plugged into anything. With this set up I have NOT been able to switch between my RF input (which is plugged in) and the satellite signal input. As far as I can tell, in this configuration, the input button on the remote does nothing. Let me know if I am doing something wrong. I assume that input button will swicth the signal comming out of the RF output if the RF output is hooked up to the TV, but as I understood it, the question posed here was whether the E45 could switch between the RF and satellite outputs on the line outputs (RCA or S Video). As far as I can tell the answer is NO, but I haven't had too much time to play with it. Any thoughts?
[Edited last by Richard Donoghue on September 16, 2001 at 11:42 AM]

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Me thinks we have our 'in's' and 'out's' mixed up.
The 45 has only two inputs. They are both RF. The top is for the dish and the bottom for CATV or OTA.
The outputs are 1-RF 1-Super 2-A/V's. Also coax & optical 5.1 audio.
I have both RF's hooked up and one RF out goes to the TV RF in. If I am watching dish feeds and want to switch to local CATV, I press the input button on the remote and change the channels (local) on the TV. (I don't have a CATV box).
When I change back to dish, I put the TV on three and hit the input button again, and then change the dish channels.
I hope this helps
Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks