Hughes DirectTivo..wheres the Dolby Digital?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ed L, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Ed L

Ed L Agent

Hello all:

I recently had the Hughes Directtivo system pro. installed and am having a problem receiving Dolby digital when watching shows or movies that are encoded as such? I have a Denon AVR3300 with a optical connection which is setup in both the Tivo menu as well as the Denon menu but dont receive the Dolby Dig.(only Dolby Pro. on receiver screen). Has anyone else experienced this or am I missing something here? Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed -

2. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

I have direct tv dolby digital to receiver via optical without any problem. I do not have tivo, Is your optical going directly int receiver or bypassed into tivo?

3. Ed L

Ed L Agent

Dan:

I have the optical connected to the Directtivo (optical out)

and then to the optical in on the Denon.

Thanks

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Did you go into the DirecTivo setup and change the digital audio from PCM to raw? IIRC, it defaults to PCM.

-Robert

5. Ed L

Ed L Agent

Robert:

Thanks for the info....I didnt setup the Tivo initially(installer) but will check this. right off hand do you know where in the tivo menu you can check that? Will I have to do a guided setup again or is that option on a submenu of the main menu. Thanks again

Ed -

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    It's in the Tivo audio setup. I would give you a step by step by my receiver just died.

-Robert

7. Michael Knieriemen

Here is how to find it on the Hughes DirecTiVo...

Press "Select" for each menu item below.

1) TiVo button

2) DIRECTV Menu

3) Messages & Setup

4) My Preferences

5) Audio Options

6) Dolby Digital

Select.."Yes, output and record in Dolby Digital".

8. Ed L

Ed L Agent

Michael:

Thanks for the response back...I have the Dolby Dig. checked in the Tivo menu but still no confirmation on my Denon 3300(only Pro Logic)or noticeable Dolby Dig. separation? Robert who replied in this post suggested the steps below but I cant find this option anywhere (maybe not offered on the Hughes box). Any other thoughts? may be a bad box?

Did you go into the DirecTivo setup and change the digital audio from PCM to raw? IIRC, it defaults to PCM.

-Robert

Thanks,

Ed -

9. Patrick Ferrara

I have a Hughes non-Tivo receiver connected via optical cable to my Dennon 4800. I can tell you that not all programs are broadcast in Dolby Digital. If the program is just in Dolby Surround, then my 4800 interprets the signal and shows that it is playing in Dolby PL2. When a DD program comes on, it does recognize and play the DD soundtrack. You can tell which programs are in DD by looking at the program description for the "Alt Audio" indicator. Then use your remote and activate "Services" while you are watching the channel and you can see what the Alt Audio is. By defaulting to DD in the setup menu, you are telling your receiver that when a 5.1 signal is present, you want it used. Sometimes the Alt Audio is 5.1 and other times it's Spanish or something.

Most programs are not broadcast in DD. If you subscribe to HBO or other premium services, you will find a lot more.

Patric.

10. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

11. Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens Stunt Coordinator

What are you trying to watch? The guide is frequently wrong about shows in DD, and even when they are a lot of them are only 2.0. IIRC, it is only Starz East and HBO on 501, as well as some PPV stuff, that is broadcast in DD.

12. Patrick Ferrara

I don't know if it's the same on the Denon 3300, but I did have to set up my optical inputs on my 4800 so that they would "auto-detect" the DD signal. When a DD signal is present I get a little LED which indicates DD.

Patrick.

13. Michael Knieriemen

One simple test you can do, if you think you have everything set up correctly, is to go to a PPV that has Dolby Digital.

Like the other posters, some channels say Dolby Digital but it might not be the full 5.1. PPV appears to be correct all of the time.

Get to the channel within the first five minutes during the preview, then use rewind to test and make sure it's recoding the DD.

I did this quick test on the "Mummy Returns" on the first day of setting up my DirecTiVo. Worked great.

My receiver (Sony ES) switched over to Dolby Digital on the display. Watching this for a few minutes and rewinding back into TiVo's buffer showed the same Dolby Digital signal going through the receiver.