What's new

Hugh Jackman to host new-look Oscars (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Hugh Jackman is a great choice. He's truly multi-talented. His Tony-hosting stints were universally acclaimed.

The show needs shaking up, and I think Condon & Jackman are just the pair to do it.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Did somebody hurt their feelings last year? Awwww.

After a few years of slight jabs by comedians, they decided the backpatting train would run smoother with one of their own.

Bu at least they got a great one. I hope he gives himself a belated Oscar for The Fountain while he is up there.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think this will at least bring in more viewers. Women want him; men want to be him.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I like Hugh Jackman. Not only does he seem like a genuinely nice guy, he appeals to pretty much any fan base. He's a manly man. But then he also sings and dances. (Too bad he can pull in the big bucks at the box office)

Still, it seems to be a really out of the box choice. But I like him and he's done good hosting job with the Tonys (from the Youtube clips I saw earlier and the general consensus).

townsend

Agent
Real Name
Scott
I'll miss some of the past comedic hosts (e.g., Steve Martin), but I bet they checked out Jackman closely and found him to fit the bill nicely. I think we will all be pleasantly surprised and entertained.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
Let's not get too crazy over this but The Dark Knight will not get nominated. In any Oscar year. Yes it was great but not Oscar worthy. Just box office worthy. OK, if it broke Titanic's record maybe...

htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

And oh yeah, I was surprised that Hugh Jackman will be hosting the Oscars this year but I think he will be good.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Jose, I wouldn't say that yet. The highest grossers from the 90's (Titanic), the 80's (ET), and the 70's (Star Wars) were all nominated. That is a baseball stat, but there is something there. That said, I don't care if it is nommed. I think it's perfectly worthy, but it's the Oscars. They aren't curing cancer, and it doesn't impact the legacy of the films.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm fine with both decisions as long as they remove all the comedy bits. Usually the comedian host delivers a great monologue at the beginning and then we're subjected to awful scripted bits by celebrities the rest of the night. For me, it'd be worth losing the monologue if we could also lose the forced comedy. Maybe the time that'd be freed up would allow the winners time to actually deliver an acceptance speech.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor

Agreed....the monologue is usually the best bit but then the forced scripted parts are sometimes just too painful. Hopefully if they get good writers, it'll be...less painful =P

I like Hugh Jackman, though, so hopefully we'll be treated to an enjoyable new-look Oscars!

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Does anyone NOT like Hugh Jackman? There is just something about the guy that makes him really likable. Even stories of those that have met him have all been positive.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I just hope they don't try and rush the broadcast. It just really ruins it for me when they're rushing around during the last hour with this "hurry up" attitude. They get to the big categories and the winners get to speak for all of about 15 seconds before the music starts blasting over the top of their speech.

It's only once a year and takes up about the same amount of time as the Super Bowl. What's the rush?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks