What's new

Hugh Douglas fined for hit on Miller??? (1 Viewer)

Mark Schermerhorn

Second Unit
I wasn't aware that there is a rule stating that you can't smack around the QB after throwing an interception, if he's out of the flow of the play post-interception. It's usually standard procedure to cream the QB just like what we saw in the game.

Since the NFL really tries to protect it's QB's, because they are the biggest stars, this fine isn't that amazing or controversial, IMO. I don't think it's extreme.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
it was a clean hit, and didn't even appear to be excessively hard (from the numerous replays, in slow-mo and real-time). It was just unfortunate that Miller went down at the angle he did and his shoulder took the brunt of it. If Miller doesn't get injured, this is a non-issue anyway. This is about the league's continuing trend of making QB's untouchable. What's next, a protective bubble dome? :angry:

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
QBs are being treated more like goalies in the NHL. Pretty soon D players won't be able to look at them let alone touch them.

*whistle blows*

"Personal Foul, #54, defense, making faces at the quarterback, 15 yards, automatic first down."

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I think the rule was put in place after cheap shot hits like the one Gerard Warren of the Browns laid on Mark Brunell earlier this year.

Even though the hit was clean, the new rule states that if the QB is out of the play and not in a direct defensive position, it's illegal to touch him.

Just like the Tom Brady play....bad call, but the rule was distinctly written. Totally bogus, but still.

John*K

Stunt Coordinator
Wasn't the In The Grasp rule basically a response to that hit on Montana in the '90 NFC championship game?

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
That's a joke (and I'm a Bears fan). A defensive lineman is supposed to make a split second decision on whether the QB is going to pursue the interceptor? If the league is going to do that, they should just say that the QB is not allowed to tackle the interceptor. That way it's fair for both sides.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Not a Bears or Eagles fan, but that fine is a joke. It was a clean, non-excessive hit. And Miller was boppin' him on the head the whole time! You can bet if Douglas were hitting Miller in the same way he'd be out of the league.

I am all for protecting the QBs within reason. But that was just a good, clean play that had an unfortunate result. It never looked like Douglas was trying to injure Miller, the shoulder must have just popped out when he hit the ground.

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
If the league is going to do that, they should just say that the QB is not allowed to tackle the interceptor. That way it's fair for both sides.
I agree completely. It seems a little biased to allow the QB to tackle the interceptor, but not allow a defensive player to tackle him unless it's OBVIOUS the QB's about to make the play. So the defender is forced to make a ridiculous split second decision like that? C'mon.

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
Plus miller had his hands up all over Douglas. one could almost argue that he pulled douglas onto him. the hit was not vicious, it's unfortunate about the injury but i don't think Douglas should be fined

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
I think it's a joke.

It PAINS me to watch a QB scrambling downfield(Mcnabb/Stewrt)...and to watch DBs and LBs afraid to tackle them because they think they are going to either slide or go outbounds. Then they get juked and the QB takes another 10 yards. Then the QB is shown laughing on the way back to the huddle...

TV

Erling Pedersen

Auditioning
In the letter the NFL sent to Douglas, they stated that Miller had close to no chance of getting involved in the play action, since he was 20 yards away from the action at the time.

However, the play action was going on behind Douglas, so how was he to know? What do they want him to do? Turn around and predict every possible way the play will develop like a chess player? And then make a quick statistical calculation, and base his action on the probability of the QB getting involved? It's just a joke. The hit was clean and legal since Miller was moving. I hope Douglas appeals and the fine is revoked.

I agree with the changing the rule, so the QB cannot involved in the play.

John*K

Stunt Coordinator
Even as a Bears fan, I don't think he should be fined. But I'm not sure if what Douglas did was blocking. If you watch the play, Douglas has his arm *around* Miller and appears to throw him down.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
This is ridiculous. The hit was clean and wasn't even hard, it just looks like Miller hit the ground at an awkward angle.

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I agree that this is a bogus fine. Coming from a Bears fan, I think the hit was legal. Miller wouldn't have been hurt if he didn't put his arm up and around Douglas' head. It's unfortunate but that is why these guys get paid so much money. Nothing worse than over-paid cry-babies.

Tony_P

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that it wasn't a clearly dirty play (unlike the numerous times John Runyan tried to take out the knees of Bears players after the play was over) but there is something about it that doesn't sit well with me. Hugh Douglas said that going after the quarterback after an interception is how he has always been coached. To me, if a player says that he is always going to target a QB after an interception, regardless of the QB's proximity to the ballcarrier, then his intent in clearly to cause harm to the player. Any other reason for targeting this position in this manner doesn't make sense. If you are truly trying to help your team, shouldn't you go block somebody that may take down your guy? But everyone in the NFL knows that if you can knock the other team's starting QB out of the game you are probably going to win.
Now, it is possible that he was misquoted or I misunderstood him and he meant that he is coached to always block the nearest player (which for a rush end would most likely be the QB). I have no problem with that. Personally, I think he was headhunting a bit, regardless if his hit on Miller didn't look so bad on replay.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks