What's new

Huge SACD announcements at CES! (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
That is great news Ric, thanks for the update!!

Hopefully the players will become cheaper for us common folk, and availability in Canada improves...

Thanks.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Good to hear there will be some more manufacturers of SACD players out there besides Sony and Philips. Hopefully this will bring prices down while keeping a high quality of product.

Patrick

Greg Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
According to Larry Kenswil, president of UMG eLabs: "With its many benefits for consumers and recording artists, Super Audio CD has the potential to become a standard in the industry. UMG believes that our initial SACD titles available this spring will help drive the growth of this high-quality, secure music format."
This was all I saw about universal announcing their first batch of sacd titles. Unfortunately, I still have the feeling that this will be a half-hearted effort from universal.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately, I still have the feeling that this will be a half-hearted effort from universal.
Maybe (and probably).

But isn't Philips (co-creator of SACD) part of the Universal Vivendi megacorp? Might be some push there to get product out.

Plus, Universal is the one driving these mutant "copy protected" CDs. I suspect they'd like nothing better than to leave Red Book behind sooner rather than later. (Note the word "secure" in the quote.)

I wouldn't be surprised to see a fairly robust SACD offering from Universal this year.

Ryan

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
From the Sony link that Ric provided:

Key representatives of leading consumer electronics manufacturers—including Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Philips, Pioneer, Sharp, Sony and Yamaha—gathered in support of the Super Audio Compact Disc (SACD) format during a press event hosted today at the 2002 Consumer Electronics Show.
Notice that Matsushita (Panasonic and Technics), JVC, Kenwood, and Toshiba are not mentioned. I guess they are still backing DVD-Audio. I give Denon and Onkyo credit for trying SACD, as they have supported DVD-Audio already, and both with quality components.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Since noone posted the actual first batch of titles that UMG will release, I figure I would:

Diana Krall - The Look of Love
Andrea Bocelli - Cieli di Toscana
Ja Rule - Pain Is Love
Shelby Lynne - Love Shelby
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
ET - The 20th Anniversary Soundtrack
Steely Dan - Gaucho
The Allman Brothers Band - Live at the Fillmore East
Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong - Ella & Louis
Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto - Getz & Gilberto
Muddy Waters - Folksinger
There are some really good titles here. UMG will be off to an excellent start with regards to SACD.

Luis A

Second Unit
Quick question. Will SACD players go the single digital out, sometime soon, instead of 6 analog outs?
L

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Well, hopefully Universal will fail miserably
UMG believes that our initial SACD titles available this spring will help drive the growth of this high-quality, secure music format.
Well, I personally hope they fail miserably since myself and others I know are currently boycotting them. Will they release USACD for Universal SACD and create their own standard like they have with DVD and CD? :angry:

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I may have to get me one of those el cheapo SACD players after all..... :) What price point do they start at currently?

RicP

Screenwriter
Will they release USACD for Universal SACD and create their own standard like they have with DVD and CD
First of all they can't "create" their own standard. SACD is SACD, the standard is already defined, there's nothing that Universal can do to alter that standard. And what exactly are you talking about anyway? How did Universal create their own standard for DVD? Do tell.

TylerN

Stunt Coordinator
Quick question. Will SACD players go the single digital out, sometime soon, instead of 6 analog outs?
Receivers will have to start including SACD decoders in order for this to happen. Hopefully they will... Ahh, another sticker for manufacturers to put on the front of their equipment.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
And what exactly are you talking about anyway? How did Universal create their own standard for DVD? Do tell.
I think he ment the copy protected CD's which do violate the Redbook standard,hence his reference,to create "their own standard" SACD.

george king

Supporting Actor
John,

I think I read that they are testing the system with the release of the Fast and Furious soundtrack. Supposedly, and I am not sure about the accuracy of the info, the CD will not play in computers, CD Burners, or DVD players.

This is what makes the copyprotected CDs so bad.

Hope this helps.

J

John Morris

George: if you are sure of this, I'm gonna go to Best Buy and buy every one that they have in stock. Then, I'm gonna open them up, and then take them back for a refund since they are faulty CDs which will not play on my DVD player or computer CD player. If we all do this, this BS will stop pretty quickly and Universal will lose a ton of money. If anyone knows for sure about the Fast and Furious Soundtrack please LMK.

Users who are viewing this thread