1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Huge hydrogen stores found below Earth's crust

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Max Leung, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

3. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Here we go again. "Near limitless"? How much of a little bit more does it need to be limitless? [​IMG]

4. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

RobertR:

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Are any of these hydrogen stores found in more convenient locations, as in above-ground? Also, are they all huge? I don't mind a smaller, more convenient hydrogen marketplace. As long as I can get good prices on hydrogen, I'm happy.

6. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I'm afraid you might get lost if you went into a "near limitless" hydrogen store, Jack. You might wind up someplace near Jupiter, and beyond the infinite. Then we'd all be wondering what the heck happened to you (Wait a minute! What's that coming out of the hydrogen store? It looks like a foetus in a bubble!).

7. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

Why do I have the feeling that certain people will view drilling for hydrogen with the same disdain as drilling for oil? If it might possibly disturb a sleeping grasshopper someone will try to stop it [​IMG]

8. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Do they have a 24 hour drive thru?

9. Jeremy-P

Jeremy-P Stunt Coordinator

Can I sell it too? I've got too much just sitting around in molecules doing nothing.

10. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson

11. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I'm willing to bet that these new hydrogen stores will have no-smoking signs plastered all over them!

At least burning hyrodgen doesn't pollute, unlike oil/gas. I think the main reason why we're still using oil and gas is because it is extremely cheap and convenient. A nuclear reactor is much more costly to maintain than a simple gas electric plant!

Burning hydrocarbons is very cost effective, and will likely be so for many decades to come.

12. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Travis,
    I laughed out loud at your first sentence. I think you meant sentiments not sediments. I was thinking "are they going to have to dredge for hydrogen???"... [​IMG]

13. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

14. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

just out of curiousity, when you breathe hydrogen does it make your voice funny like helium? I assume it would because of its density, so that would make it more fun to travel to the hydrogen stores..

15. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

How about that awful Chain Reaction movie with Keanu "I am an F.B.I. agent" Reeves. When will we be able to get Hydrogen from water in safe, and economical fashion? The ocean is about 2/3 Hydrogen...

16. Scott Dill

Scott Dill Stunt Coordinator

hold on there buster, Hydrogen has an atomic weight of ~1 and oxygen has an atomic weight of ~16 so even if the ocean was pure water, it would only be 1/8 hydrogen by mass [​IMG]

17. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Boy this thead has gone downhill! In a vain effort to stay on-topic, I'll say this:

Hey, this could explain how hell keeps those fires burning all the time! And with limitless stores of hydrogen, hell won't ever freeze over! Uh, unless their cash registers crash when Satan's minions visit the store to buy more bags of hydrogen, of course.

18. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

19. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe (followed closely by stupidity, haha [​IMG]).
    It could provide virtually limitless energy, either by "burning" it (combining w/oxygen to make water + heat), or someday through fusion (making helium, like the sun does). The trick is gathering up enough of it. Its density is so low that you need a HUGE tank to house it.
    I wonder how much energy you can get from say, a pound of hydrogen (by burning it) compared to a pound of oil or gasoline.
    KJP

20. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

This thread can't decide if it's a scientific discussion or a pun factory.