Huge DVD-Audio pricing news

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Br, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

This is so big if it happens, from now on all new releases from Warner on cd's and their counterpart DVD Audio disks(ie Dishwallas new disk) will be priced the same, thats right, if one is on sale for 11.99 then the dvd audio disk will be 11.99.
    http://www.highfidelityreview.com./n...snumber=498243

2. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Thanks for the link Greg.

This is great news. Now, only if NAXOS can start getting more of their classical catalogue to market, this will definitely be a boon for DVD-A (For those who don't know, Naxos DVD-A's have msrp's of 13.98-14.98). I have their Vivaldi Four Seasons disc which is outstanding. I bought it at Tower for its 14.98 msrp, and they had about a dozen or so copies in the bin. I returned two days later, and they were all sold out. Warner is definitely heading in the right direction in regards to pricing if they want their titles in the hands of consumers.

Reg

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

O.K., so what about older titles? For example, Paul Simon's You're the One came out on CD in 2000 and came out on DVD-Audio in 2001. Can we expect to see the CD and DVD-Audio disc priced the same? If not, then how excited can we be by this news? Warner has practically put no new titles out on DVD-Audio in the past six months. I want to know if I will be able to buy the Paul Simon DVD-Audio disc at Best Buy for $14.99, or whatever the CD sells for. Right now, the DVD-Audio disc is $22.99 at Best Buy. Are we really going to see a significant price drop on Monday? I'm skeptical.

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Friends,
    The timing of this is very curious to me. They announce a big price cut after weeks of really big title announcements from the Super Audio camp. I think Warner may be feeling the heat from the lack of DVDA momentum.
    This may even be bigger news if it prompts Sony and others to respond in kind.
    [​IMG]

5. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

I really don't care what the motivation is, weather its competition based or just part of their overall business plan.

This may force other DVD Audio distributers to follow suit, we just have to sit back and see how this all plays out.

I am skeptical about the new SACD news on both the Rolling Stones and CCR, we will have to see the sound quality before I jump to any great claims as of yet.

6. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee