What's new

Huge 4th Quarter for Vintage Fans (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Wow! How did I miss that one? Definitely belongs on the list.

Gary "thanks for bringing that one to my attention, David" O.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I'd like to pick up Gomer Pyle: U.S.M.C. (season five), The Patridge Family (season 3), The Mod Squad (whatever is released), and maybe The Munsters Complete. I might also spring for The Little Rascals and a few more seasons of Perry Mason. :emoji_thumbsup:

The Mod Squad and Room 222 (please) are at the top of my list.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Took a look at DVD Planet. (I just wanted to make sure they didn't have any "Hard to Find" DVDs (Thats :frowning:Bootleg:frowning: for those of you in Rio Linda!)

Looks like they're legit! :emoji_thumbsup:

Too bad I'm Broke right now!

Sylvia*ST

Stunt Coordinator

They are legit--they have a bricks & mortar store in Huntington Beach, CA, and they have the lowest prices anywhere (about the same as amazon, but without the shipping charge. I found them hard to deal with by mail (especially with pre-orders), but the store is great.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Man, you guy's list are major-league! I'm a AAA-team guy compared to you all. Right now, my list is small:

Q4 10-12 '08"

MISSION:IMPOSSIBLE S5 on the fence about buying this
MAN FROM UNCLE same. but if that DVD Planet price holds up by release time, I'll have to get this one

LOONEY TUNES COLLECTION 6 Sure-buy
PERRY MASON S3 V2 Another sure-buy
RAWHIDE S3 V2 Same

Ones that are already released but waiting for the DD or other sale:

I DREAM OF JEANNIE S5
PERRY MASON S3 V1UNTOUCHABLES S2 V2
LOVE BOAT S1 V2
THE MUNSTERS COMPLETE SERIES 90% on buying this one

ADAM-12 S2 I'll need online reviews before I get this (transfer Q, unedited eps?)

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
They've been around for decades. They used to be called Ken Crane's LaserDisc and for years they were one of the largest mail-order LaserDisc retailers in the world. When ld's went bye-bye, they shifted their focus to DVD and changed their name. They still continue to have the best everyday (i.e. non sale) pricing on the entire Criterion Collection series. Their shipping and handling can be a bit more than some of the other guys, but they provide excellent customer service and stand behind everything they sell.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled thread... :D

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Well, sure enough, two of the series I mentioned as possibly coming in the 4th Quarter are indeed officially set now:

Steve Canyon Vol. 1 - coming on November 18th
Daniel Boone Season 6 - also coming on November 18th

Unbelievable. Oh, and we can add a few more Timeless sets that I didn't know about at the time of my first posting. Both The Texan and Wagon Train are coming during the last quarter of the year. And then, to top it off, we've got Burke's Law - Season 1, Vol. 2 coming as well. This is insanity!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Gary "I haven't gone back over the last several years and actually checked out what I'm about to say, but right now it seems like this 4th Q of 2008 will produce more vintage TV on DVD than any other I can remember" O.

S

silverking

I have already slipped behind on some releases such as "Hawaii Five-0" & "Streets of San Francisco" although here in the UK the latter along with "Perry Mason" & "The Fugitive" seemed to have been released as complete,rather than 1/2 season sets so I may wait awhile to see what develops.

Others I intend to pick up

Mission Impossible S5
Man from UNCLE (possibly)
Laredo S2 V1 I have had on order for months
Wagon Train
M Squad (One thing about complete sets is you don't have to worry if the series will be continued.)
Gunsmoke S3 V1
Rawhide S3 V2
The Deputy
The Texan
The Lone Ranger set
Route 66
Mannix S2 (New Year)
Get Smart
Happy Days 4

I wonder if Warner Bros may make an announcement about some of their vintage material in their chat tonight (probably not so just as well)

I need to rob a bank.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Notice how most of those vintage shows are considered "prestige" show--then and now. This is all the greatest stuff you can ask for; ain't no junk in this batch! Hope some of it turns new fans onto classic tv.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
I am wondering where the original Mike hammer series is? It ran in the 80's, starred Stacy Keach, and aired on CBS in prime time. The latter Mike hammer series with Shannon Tweed as Velda was released by Tango.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Here's my list:

Adam 12 Season 2
Gunsmoke Season 3 "Vol.1" (UGH!)
Donna Reed Show Season 1
Shary Lewis Christmas Show
Lone Ranger mega set

There are other series I'd like to rent first and maybe buy if I really like them:

My Three Sons
Doris Day
Little Rascals
Father Knows Best
Howdy Doody
Route 66

I also have other classic movie dvds and also The Music of The Lord of The Rings films book and dvd that will be coming out near Christmas, so I have to split my wallet in several directions.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Great list, Bob. Every single dvd you listed is on my radar (although I'll sub the entire Doris Day mega set for the Christmas dvd). But other than that, I plan on purchasing all those sets.

Gary "I still can't get over how full the 4th Q is for vintage material" O.

MARC1

Agent
Real Name
marc soaper
I will be picking up

Adam 12
My Three Sons
The Odd Couple
The partridge Family
Gomer Pyle
The Donna Reed Show
Father Knows Best
Ozzie & Harriett Christmas Shout factory release.

WOW thats quite a few hopefully I'll be getting them all before the end of the year.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Those are some great choices, Marc. All of those are on my radar, and most of them are on my "must buy" list.

Gary "the news about FKB having uncut prints for Season 2 makes this upcoming 4th quarter even better!" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Well, with Oldies.com releasing their December Alpha schedule, it looks like we know pretty much everything that's coming in this last quarter of '08. Not a whole lot of new stuff with Alpha, just a few continuations. I guess the MILTON BERLE SHOW is new, but that's about it.

All in all I still maintain that this 4th quarter has been huge for vintage fans. With the economy looking as poor as it does, I have a hard time believing we are going to see another bonanza (no pun intended) like this one for quite some time. Enjoy, my friends. Enjoy.

Gary "hope I'm wrong about a slowdown on vintage releases due to the economy - but it seems only reasonable" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Ok, one month down (Oct.) and two to go (Nov. & Dec.) for this huge 4th quarter that many of us vintage TV fans have been waiting for. What have you bought thus far during this last quarter of 2008? I've purchased:

BEVERLY HILLBILLIES, S2
PEANUTS HOLIDAY COLLECTION
MUNSTERS COMPLETE SET
LOONEY TUNES 6
ROUTE 66 S2 (even though it's been delayed, I've pre-ordered it so I'm counting it)
LITTLE RASCALS
ABBOTT & COSTELLO COMPLETE (I know it's not TV, but cut me some slack - LOL)

There are still some other October releases I plan on buying, but I'm waiting for a certain sale that I believe is coming very, very soon. They will be:

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE S5
PARTRIDGE FAMILY S3
SHARI LEWIS CHRISTMAS
INCREDIBLE HULK S5
DONNA REED SHOW S1
DORIS DAY SHOW CHRISTMAS

I'll mention my November selections at the end of the month. Anyone else buy any classic stuff this past month? I know the economy and the election has seemingly decreased posting and/or interest in the material, but hopefully a few folks have been able to get something. This really is a huge quarter, and I'm quite sure we will NOT see a repeat of this type of quantity and quality of vintage material in the first quarter of '09. So let's enjoy it while we can.

Gary "I've already shored up purchases a bit, but after Christmas I will really have to be selective about dvd purchases as money gets tighter" O.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

I haven't purchased too much as of late, Gary.

In terms of new releases, I've only purchased "Adam-12" season 2 from Shout! Factory. But thanks to a recent sale at Amazon, I was able to catch up on some releases that have been out there for a while, including "Barney Miller" season 2, and both seasons of the late 1950s British series "The Invisible Man."

I have "M Squad" on order from DVD Pacific, and if everybody's favorite 20% sale materializes in a few weeks, I'll be picking up season 2 of "Route 66," season 1, volume 2 of "Burke's Law" and "Dr. Syn: The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh." I also have a few miscellaneous Alpha releases on order from Oldies.com. I'm also going to pick up two releases from S'more Entertainment before the end of the year, "A Shari Lewis Christmas" and volume 2 of "Mister Peepers."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks