What's new

Huge 4th Quarter for Vintage Fans (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I've got to be honest. I really thought at the beginning of this year that we'd see a big, big drop off in vintage TV on dvd releases. But this upcoming fourth quarter (Oct. - Dec.) is going to see my wallet hurting possibly more than ever before. What are my fellow classic TV fans planning to buy in those last 3 months of the year? Here are some of mine (although I'm waiting for sales on most of these items):

My Three Sons - ok, very end of 3rd Q. for this one, but I listed it anyhow
Beverly Hillbillies Season 2
Charlie Brown/Peanuts Holiday Set
You're Not Elected, Charlie Brown
Munsters Complete
- got the single season sets but would like to upgrade for single-sided sake
Partridge Family Season 3
Looney Tunes Set #6
Incredible Hulk Season 5
Route 66 Season 2
- assuming we get cleaned up prints
Man from U.N.C.L.E. - only on a great sale, but it is on my radar
Odd Couple Complete - same as above
Donna Reed Show Season 1
The Little Rascals
Cosby Show Complete
- if Season 1 is fixed
Father Knows Best Season 2
Lone Ranger Mega Set
M Squad Mega Set
3 Disney Treasures Sets
McHale's Navy Season 4
Gomer Pyle Season 5
Perry Mason Season 3, V. 2
Gunsmoke Season 3, V. 1
Happy Days Season 4
Rawhide Season 3, V.2
Petticoat Junction Season 1
Doris Day: Christmas Memories
Mister Peepers Season 2
Three Stooges V. 4
Hawaii Five-0 Season 5
A Shari Lewis Christmas
Red Skelton Christmas

We've also got the Steve Canyon set that's long been rumored to be out before the end of 2008. Daniel Boone Season 6 would also warrant serious consideration if it was on the schedule for the fourth quarter of '08. And while I think this is a major long shot for this year, what if that huge Rifleman set were to suddenly show up? Yikes! Then, to top it off there's the big Abbott & Costello collection that I must own!

Gary "I have no idea how I'm going to whittle this list down, but I know I can't afford everything I've mentioned" O.

P.S. Add Studio One to the list, per Gord and Dave's announcement just now on a 6 disc collection coming in November! Come on guys, you are killing me (my wallet to be exact).
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I'm in for Five-0 S5, Little Rascals and the Lone Ranger S1/S2 set, plus more Cannon, Streets of San Francisco and Odd Couple.

FrosteyV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard Villafana
I'm in for The Man from UNCLE, M Squad, Route 66 Season 2, the not listed Disney's Dr. Syn, the Scarecrow of Romney Marsh, and the rumored, but not confirmed Laramie.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Great list, Gary! I'm definitely picking up the following:

Partridge Family S3
Gomer Pyle S5
Rawhide S3, vol. 2
M Squad (complete series set)
Night Gallery S2 (not on your list but qualifies for vintage era tv)
Route 66 S2 (if it's done right, as you stated)

Sets I'm hoping still make it for 4th Quarter but probably won't:

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea S4
Alfred Hitchcock Presents S4
The Rifleman (50th anniversary complete set)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

I forgot about NIGHT GALLERY, Michael. That definitely qualifies! I'd love to see any of the three you mentioned as "hoping for". No doubt about that.

Gary "take care, friend" O.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I've cut back on spending this year out of necessity and the slowdown of Warner theatrical classics has helped, but you're right, Q4 is huge and my wallet is crying.

I'm in for:

Charlie Chan V5
Picture of Dorian Gray
Our Gang
Warner Gangsters 4
Warner Homefront
Looney Tunes
Stooges
Perry Mason S3V2
Hawaii Five O
Lone Ranger if no edits, good PQ, and prospects for S3 - S5

The A&C set is very tempting but Universal's not utilizing Bob Furmanek's excellent suggestions doesn't make it a double dip slam dunk for me. I need a really good sale on this.

What scares me is that there are plenty of slots open for November and December releases.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
It will be; I've already posted news confirming that.

I'm glad to see that "Studio One" qualifies for this thread...does the complete series releases of "Little House" and "Wild, Wild West"? The complete series releases of Family Affair and Doris Day Show? I see Hulk S5 was brought up, but not the complete series version! What about Knight Rider Complete or Original Outer Limits Complete or Dr. Quinn Complete? I also see someone mentioned the Dr. Syn tin, but what about the Annette/Mickey Mouse Club tin? Cosby Show, but not Cybill or Grace Under Fire? Shari Lewis Christmas was listed, but not the Tonight Show: Johnny Carson Christmas release? Zoom?

Sorry...I guess I've got an advantage in remembering all this stuff I post news about! ;)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I'm planning on getting:

M SQUAD
RAWHIDE: SEASON 3, VOL. 2
DISNEY TREASURES: DR. SYN, ALIAS THE SCARECROW
NIGHT GALLERY: SEASON 2
ROUTE 66: SEASON 2 (barring screw-ups)

And these, that I don't really consider to be "TV shows" per se (any moreso than the regular weekly TV installments of the Johnny Weismuller/Lex Barker/Gordon Scott/et al TARZAN movies, Basil Rathbone SHERLOCK HOLMES flicks, Shirley Temple films, Abbott & Costello movies, the BOWERY BOYS, etc):

LOONEY TUNES GOLDEN COLLECTION VOL. 6
LITTLE RASCALS
THREE STOOGES COLLECTION VOL. 4

--I wonder if we'll get any more INVADERS, MANNIX and/or THE UNTOUCHABLES (Season 3, Vol. 1) this year, or if those are being saved for early '09... ditto ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS: SEASON 4...

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Great list, Gary. And don't forget the Complete Get Smart set which is supposed to be getting a general release around the same time as the U.N.C.L.E. set.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Gary, really good list and there are a few vintage releases that, technically, are not in the 4th quarter but will please vintage TV-on-DVD fans, including the just released 1950s "swashbuckler" sets from Timeless Media -- "The Buccaneers," "Adventures of Sir Lancelot," and "William Tell" (the last two are winging their way to me as I write this) as well as Season 2, volume 1 of "Laredo," and VCI Entertainment's eagerly awaited release of "Honey West," which is right around the corner.

Also, let's not forget Shout! Factory's season 2 release of "Adam-12" which is scheduled for an October release and Timeless' release of the Henry Fonda western "The Deputy" which is coming out before year end.

My purchases will include "Route 66," season 2, "Adam-12," season 2, "M Squad," complete series, and "Honey West." I'll probably hold off on the Paramount releases until there's a sale down the line unless the release day prices are really great. DeepDiscount's recent Paramount TV-on-DVD sale was terrific and has allowed me to stay current (through season 4) on the "Hawaii Five-0" releases.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

David, pretty much everything you mentioned qualifies as far as I'm concerned. My first post wasn't meant to be an end all list. I was only listing things that I'm seriously looking at. But there are many, many more (as you demonstrated).

While I didn't mention it by name, I did say I was in for all three Disney Treasure sets, so Annette's is definitely to be included. Now, if only Disney would do the same for Cheryl Holdridge.

Gary "this 4th quarter will probably be the biggest since TVonDVD burst on the scene - at least for vintage fans" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Great catches/additions Bob. I took into account the Timeless and VCI releases being out before October (other than "The Deputy", which I just forgot about completely) and that's the only reason I didn't list them. But all the ones you listed are must buys for me. I just have to wait for sales when it comes to most of this stuff.

Gary "I just have no idea how I'm going to work this out, financially - boy is my wallet going to be hurting" O.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Yep, it's getting to be a rather full platter. I'm not entirely sure I can afford all I'd like to get. Some of these large, pricier sets are going to be hard to swing (although I've already set aside the funds for "M Squad"). Anyway, I always maintain a little index card with a list of upcoming sets I plan on getting, courtesy the info found here and at tvshowsondvd.com. So far...

My Three Sons, s-1/p-1
Adam-12, s-2
Laredo, s-2/p-1
Beverly Hillbillies, s-2
The Deputy, v-1
Route 66, s-2
Donna Reed Show, s-1
M Squad, complete
Lone Ranger, s-1/2
Mr. Peepers, s-2
Father Knows Best, s-2
McHale's Navy, s-4
Gomer Pyle, s-5
Gunsmoke, s-3/p-1
Rawhide, s-3/p-2
Petticoat Junction, s-1

There are probably a few more I need to add, like this recently announced "Studio One" set, and perhaps even the next "Cannon" set (the first proved to be quite enjoyable, more than I expected). Also, there are still a few items already out that I might want to grab, like the last "Mission: Impossible" set. And, considering how much fun I'm having with Timeless' "William Tell" set, I might have to give "Sir Lancelot" a try. Hoping "Honey West" arrives in the mail in the next few days, too!

All things considered, a pretty good year... marred only by the massive, sickening disappointment of what happened to "The Fugitive." That's a lingering sore spot, which dampened my enthusiasm for the medium in a way that still manages to linger.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
The Complete Incredible Hulk Set is already on my "Santa Claus" list! :D

I'm certain many others will be obtained with the Money friends and Relatives will send me! I do have my eyes on the Complete Get Smart! & Man from U.N.C.L.E. sets, along with a few others. :cool:

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

DVD Planet has a great price on The Man From U.N.C.L.E. complete series at $139 (including shipping). Especially when you consider those of us who paid $212 from Time Life last Spring. (Except, of course, Bob Schneider, who found it for $140.) ;)

Welcome to DVD Planet - Your Home for DVD!

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation or remuneration from DVD Planet. Just passing this info along.

RichieMagoo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richie
I've already pre-ordered The Odd Couple; may get Studio One and Little Rascals....and maybe the complete Hulk series (wasn't a huge fan of that show...but it's been so long since I've seen it, would like it just for nostalgic value...maybe watch it once and re-sell it)

Other than those, I'm on hiatus until they finish up some of the abandonned series, like All In The Family, Archie Bunker's Place, Barney Miller and Taxi.

I haven't so much as bought one DVD this summer- between being disgusted over the stalled series, and the lack of good sales in the summer months, the studios/retailers are saying "Keep your money".

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I would also like to buy the next season of Archie Bunker's Place and All in the Family. Beyond that, I would like to get the next set for the following shows:

The Facts Of Life
Hart to Hart
Hazel
Gimme a Break!
Laverne & Shirley
What's Happening Now!!
Mama's Family

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members