What's new

Hug then cartoon box sets.... (1 Viewer)

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I always thought that they parodied the stereotype, rather than embodying and proliferating it.
I guess it's a fine line.
:frowning:

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I find it oddly hilarious that, according to the article, Speedy is still shown, and quite popular, on Cartoon Network Latin America.

By the way, does anyone have a list of the "Censored 11"?

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
I am one of the lucky ones to have picked up the Cartoon Crazys WinStar DVDs.

Volume 1 of the Cartoon Crazys DVDs has the complete uncut Fresh Hare. The sound may have been remastered and remixed and the video quality is a bit off but its definitely the original version of Fresh Hare.

I even have the Cartoon Crazys Go to War DVD with the uncut Warner Brothers propaganda cartoons.

I wish they were still in print, I'd love to pick some more up for friends and family.

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
So many people seem worried about the message cartoons send to kids, and none of them seem to realize that the kids aren't getting these so called messages. To children, funny is funny, and that's it. No kid is watching Speedy Gonzales and is forming an opinion of Mexicans based on it. I know that I certainly never did. I grew up watching Speedy and other Looney Tunes, I never met a Mexican until high school, and no negative images of Mexicans came flooding back to me from my years of Speedy Gonzalles indoctrination. Racism is taught. It's parents or whoever has influence over the child that teaches them that one kind of person is better than another. Left to their own devices, children will not pick up on any negative racial connotations, they'll just see funny cartoons. To children, people are people, and no one is better or worse than another based on their ethnicity. You have to wonder how smart these child psychologists really are if something so basic is beyond their comprehension.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I agree with you Geoff on Speedy Gonzales, when I was a kid I never thought about racial this or that.

I do think the cartoons on Censored 11 should be banned.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
If Speedy is so dangerous to young minds, then why haven't we all grown up hating and despising Mexicans? Because that's basically saying that that's what the cartoons are doing.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
It pisses me off that my favorite WB cartoons are getting shorter and shorter while there is wrestling on TV everyday. What's worse for kids? Seeing a cartoon rabbit blow up a cartoon bull? Or seeing a real big guy hit another guy over the head with a metal chair while thousands of onlookers cheer?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks