What's new

HTR5790 won't start (1 Viewer)

JeffGu

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff TGutsell
I just bought a Yamaha HTR-5790 through Best Buy's online site and have spent 3 days trying unsuccessfully to get it to turn on. The symptoms: I press the Standby/On button. I hear the amp click and the display briefly turns on then goes blank and the receiver won't respond to anything I do.

I keep hearing that it's unlikely that the receiver has an internal problem and that I'm doing something wrong. So I'm hoping this forum is the right place to get a solution.

I have the receiver plugged into a Monster Cable power strip. For now, I'm only using 2-channel 8-ohm speakers plugged into the A and the B plugs. I've doublechecked the polarity of the connections. The DVD inputs audio over an optical line and video over component video lines.

An older CD player inputs over regular audio lines.

The receiver outputs video to the TV over component video lines.

A VCR goes directly to the TV, so I presume it has no effect on the receiver.

Final note: The only new thing in this setup is the receiver. All the components worked fine with a 20-year-old Yamaha receiver.

Steven_Jobe

Stunt Coordinator
Well it is very unlikely that the reciever has an internal problem however it's not impossible. If I were you I'd return it, get another, try that one out, and see if you have the same problem. Then at least you'll save hours of trouble finding out what you're doing wrong because who knows, maybe you aren't doing anything.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
"I have the receiver plugged into a Monster Cable power strip. For now, I'm only using 2-channel 8-ohm speakers plugged into the A and the B plugs."

Does this mean you have one pair of speakers and have connected one of them to the A speaker terminals and the other to the B speaker terminals?

If you're only using 2 speakers, connect the left one to the A speaker left terminals and the other to the A speaker right terminals. Do not use the B terminals at all.

The receiver isn't seeing both speakers connected to the same output terminal set and may be shutting down as a result. Amps are damaged if operated with no load so it maybe going into a protection mode of some kind.

The B speaker terminals are only for use with an additional set of front speakers as some might want different fronts for stereo-only music than they would use for HT movies. You are not meant to connect one speaker of a single pair to the A and the other to the B terminals.

Drag out the owner's manual and carefully read the section on speaker connections and A/B speaker selection.

JeffGu

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff TGutsell
"I have the receiver plugged into a Monster Cable power strip. For now, I'm only using 2-channel 8-ohm speakers plugged into the A and the B plugs."

Sorry for the confusion; I could have been clearer.

For the A speakers, I have a PAIR of MacIntosh ML-1s. (I know they're old, but they've been lovingly cared for. Someday I'll sell them when I get a full set of HT speakers for this room.)

For the B speakers, I have a PAIR of Infinity Overture 3s in another room that we use only for stereo music listening.

The owner's manual says the receiver can run with either A or B speakers. So I've tried running both A and B, just A and just B speakers. None of this helped.

I've also tried disconnecting various combinations of components, and none of that helped either.

Anyway, Steve and Steven, thanks for the fast response. I think I'm going to get a lot of use out of this forum. I've always had a very serious stereo system and have dragged my feet about getting a HT system because it's seemed like such a huge effort. This place will help with the frustration.

Chris Brock

Second Unit
I would say to definityl return that unit and try a second one. I had no issues like this at all with my 5760.

also, have you tried to completly disconnect everything except for the power wire and turn it on? if it still wouldnt work then it would have to be the unit IMO....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks