HTR-5740 - DVD audio modes

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Gau, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Gau

Gau Stunt Coordinator

I'm new to receivers and HT equipment so please bear with me.
    I usually listen to music, cable, radio, etc. through my Yamaha HTR-5740 and 2 Paradigm mini-monitors with Neo:6 sound. I like the way it sounds even though i dont have a full complement of 5.1 speakers.
    My speakers are set to 2, large, subwoofer to none.

I am confused as to what i'm supposed to choose under the audio setup for watching DVD's. it usually has DD or DTS? i think. also, whichever one I choose, I can only choose between 'surround enhanced' or 'surround standard' on the audio setup on my receiver.

Do people have any suggestions as to how to setup the audio?

thanks

2. Daman

Daman Second Unit

The reciever would take up default signal which is being fed to it, that is if you have chose DD on the disc then it would decode it in DD,the same goes for DTS signal, you can apply more DSP's on top of that if you want to experiment- one is the surround enchanced which you mentioned, there would probably be lot of other theatre modes on the remote - like spectacle/adventure etc which you can play with to decide what you like.. you can try out the hall/jazz/rock DSP's if you are playing music. Also would recommend you to buy a SPL meter and calibrate the speaker levels and also to setup your speaker distances correctly in the setup in case you havent already.

3. Gau

Gau Stunt Coordinator

thanks for explaining that to me.
    my seating position is about 8' away from the TV in an awkwardly sized room so i dont know whether i'll be able to move my speakers around toomuch. right now, they are about 6' apart.

4. Rob*W

Rob*W Auditioning

You will probably want to use 'surround enhanced' if you have less than 5 speakers - this enables virtual surround processing, which I think is fairly good. With a full set of 5 speakers, I go with 'surround standard'.

5. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Gau,
    By setting speaker distances i meant setting them up in the recievers setup menu- you dont have to move the speakers around- just measure their distance from your listening position and feed that into the reciever. You can find it in setup-sound setup-distances and set it up there.