HTR-5590 Hookup Help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Ruth, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

I decided to take my problem to another thread.

Just wanted some help - I have a cable box with no stereo output that I'd like to connect to my receiver.

The current hookup only registers left-side sound, and the best I can get it to do is 6 channel stereo, which puts some sound into the center speaker, but no sound into either the front or rear right speaker.

Can anyone help me get a full lateral soundstage out of this lousy mono cable box?

2. Ken Cerce

Ken Cerce Agent

Try contacting your cable company to see if they have a cable box that supports stereo output. If not, you can run the RF coaxial output from your old cable box to a stereo VCR and use the line level outputs from the VCR to your receiver to achieve stereo sound.

3. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Ken:
    Unfortunately, my cable box specifically does NOT have stereo output. I just replaced my old one, and the new one doesn't even have a stereo out jack. [​IMG]
    I was thinking that there should be a setting for mono sound - I tried Mono Movie, but it seems like it needs 2 inputs to work correctly.
    I was hoping I could AVOID having to hook up my cable box through my TV (I don't own a VCR), and the 5590 unfortunately doesn't have any coaxial video inputs.
    So what can I do?