HTR-5490 for $575 ??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Barry_R, Oct 22, 2001.

1. Barry_R

Barry_R Stunt Coordinator

My local Best Buy just rec'd a shipment of the new Yamaha HTR-5490. I had them check the price since they weren't on the floor yet. They had it for $899, which I think is about the same I've seen other places. I found a link on this site for ecost.com that lists the HTR-5490 for $575.00, with FREE shipping. What's the catch ?? I often see e-shopping sites with items for less than retail, but how can it be THIS MUCH LESS?? Anyone ever do business with ecost ?? Anyone order this unit yet ??
    THANKS. Barry.

2. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Make sure that ecost.com is an authorized Yamaha dealer. If they are, get BB to price match. If not, you've just avoided potential warranty problems.

3. Barry_R

Bryan, You seem to be right about that. The next closest price I could find from a Yamaha authorized dealer is onecall.com at $773. I also found a link which indicates Yamaha will not honor warranties for products purchased from non-authorized dealers. So that might account for the price difference. Interesting though, Yamaha does not list Best Buy as an authorized dealer...
    Barry.

4. Barry_R

I take that back. Best Buy is listed under the internet authorized dealers. I didn't see a listing for them locally, so thought they weren't included.
    Barry.

5. Will_S

Will_S Auditioning

seems like the same kind of delima I ran into when looking for a denon 3802 online for the price that everybody swears you can get one for, $850, but its from an unauthorized dealer w/o a warranty and you most likely take your chances on getting double boxed shipping no matter what they tell you.
    So I bought a Yamaha 5490 for $850 at bb, with peace of mind ,some will say I over paid but I'll counter with the fact that I don't have to deal with return shipping cost in case of a problem with the unit and arguing with an un-authorized dealer over getting warranty service.
    btw I'm extremely happy with the 5490's performance

6. Will_S

Will_S Auditioning

I forgot to mention that the list price on the tag was $899, but when at the checkout it rang up $850. I don't know if this was a local mistake or a sale price, I didn't bother to call attention to it for obvious reasons.

7. Nicholas A. Gallegos

Nicholas A. Gallegos Stunt Coordinator

8. Josh LeClair

Josh LeClair Agent

Thats close to what an employee at best buy pays for it. It's possible that they are simply selling the unit for close to their cost, are authorized retailers even allowed to sell the units at that low of a price?

9. tommy_esq

tommy_esq Stunt Coordinator

I've used ecost.com before and have not been disappointed! I would assume part of the reason they can sell their products for less is that they have much less overhead than a B&M like BB.

10. Barry_R

For those of you that have, or have seen, the 5490, is it similar to the RX-V1200? Yamaha has the manual for the 1200 on-line, but nothing yet for the 5400.
    Also, I did clarify earlier and say that BB IS an authorized dealer. They are not listed under local retail sites, but are listed under internet sites. Hope no one reads that and thinks they aren't authorized...My mistake.
    The salesman at BB said their initial price was going to be $899, but thought they might come down some after they were out for a bit. I don't know if they'll come down to the lowest authorized price I've seen ($775), but maybe I can talk them into it...I just feel more comfortable at BB, it's sort of like a second home...
    Barry.