HTPC

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RandyRush, Jan 7, 2002.

1. RandyRush

RandyRush Stunt Coordinator

Ok, I have my HT setup; I have a computer room with 3 pc's; what/where do I go to learn about using one of those for my HT? while I am very computer literate, I know nothing about mating the HT and the pc; thx for any information that will get me started.

2. greg jones

greg jones Stunt Coordinator

The best place I could tell you to go would be the AVS Forum. Go into the Home Theater PC section and I guarantee you will learn WAY more than you expected to. The guys there are some of the most knowledgable people in the area.

3. RandyRush

Thanks; I'm a regular there, just not in that forum

4. Ken Woodrow

Ken Woodrow Stunt Coordinator

Randy:

I'm a regular at AVSForum but post over here as well. There are some incredibly knowledgeable people here -- Hugh, for example, and others. I'd recommend that you try to stay current in both places.

Check out my website in my sig -- I have amassed a large collection of HTPC links that would be a great starting place for you and others.

It's a sometimes painful journey, but well worth it.

- Ken

5. RandyRush

Thanks Ken; I will definitely check out your site and keep updated here also.

6. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

I think sooner or later the information will become more organized. But the META FAQ at avsforum is a good starting point...and it is definitely a good idea to browse as many different forums as you can. there are salesmen everywhere, its hard to pick them out all the time.

there are a few different boards with HTPC sections. I like this one alot because it seems to have regulars who haven't been steered away.

I think that digitaltheater.com has one

and this site, avsforum, and a new forum, see my signature.

most of the others I have seen don't really address the issue very well, so it is hard to find what you want to read.

7. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

For a HTPC, you need is a semi-speedy computer (> 500 MHz but I've heard of people running software DVD w/ less than this), sound card w/ digital out that can pass DD and DTS, DVD software, a way to connect PC to display device, a DVD-ROM drive and, possibly, a video capture card w/ scaling software.

What type of display do you have?

8. RandyRush

I have the RCA 61310 HDTV with builtin in HD tuner; my pc's (3) are all PIII's or P4's above 800; the items it seems I will need first are a capture card and possibly a new sound card, since all I currently use are SBLive's; I guess the big question is the wiring, since my HT is 20X13 and everything is built into the wall, I will have to figure out how to include all the pc equipment without changing the look (everything is flush). I'll continue to read and learn before I take the leap. thx for the input

9. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

you can very easily put the HTPC in another room as well..use a firewire DVD drive. You would need to use longer cable runs for some of the other components, but usually that is not a problem.
    However with your Intel CPUs your PC's are not very loud, i would guess. That is usually one big reason for placing the HTPC in another room.
    SBLive would work fine, if you can figure out if it is a model which has a good in-spec spdif out voltage. I guess some SBLives are way too high sending the voltage to the receiver...could be a myth though, I don't know.
    you should take one aspect of the convergence (sp?) at a time too. Don't try jamming everything inside the HTPC all at once. The capture card is a good place to start too. With dscaler software ,www.dscaler.org , you can use the svideo input from a good capture card (BT 8c8 based only) and it will provide an awesome picture scaled to any resolution...If this is something you anticipate using alot for this purpose then consider using your most powerful processor. IO Magic PC PVR package is a great board for this, with clean svideo input, and runs only $40, sometimes half that. try CompUSA.
    good luck