HTPC with AIW9700

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geronimo, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Geronimo

Geronimo Auditioning

Nov 6, 2002
    I'm about to modify my ordinary PC to a HTPC and need some support.
    I plan to buy the AIW 9700Pro and connect my projector to it. For Audio I think of an Audigy2 together with a Surround 5 Satellite&Subwoofer Set from Phillips.

Now I do have quite a pack of questions:
    What is the difference between:
    - connecting Radeon DVI out to projector RGB IN/component IN (MiniDsub-15)
    - connecting Radeon component out to projector RGB IN/component IN (MiniDsub-15)
    And does it matter at all?

Is software scaling likely to be supported for the AIW 9700? (dScaler or other)
    Does anybody know when AIW 9700 will be released in Europe?
    Is it already released in the states?

I'd like to have the projector in the living room while the HTPC should stay in my bedroom, which is the adjacent room. Is it possible to make some holes in the wall and put the video and audio cables from bedroom to livingroom and remote control the PC from there with wireless mouse and keyboard?

Is Fast Ethernet fast enough to play DVD over it?

Thx a lot for any support!
  2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Sep 6, 2000

John Parris Stunt Coordinator

Aug 10, 2002

DVI vs. VGA vs. Component: Assuming your projector has all of these inputs, does your projector support 1:1 pixel mapping via DVI? This would be your best option for display, as the 9700 will more than likely do a much better job of scaling and processing than your projector could. Also, most DVI interfaces on projectors do not use the analog parts at all, making the transfer completely digital and not as suseptable to interference as analog (VGA or component) cables. This would be a good thing for you if you're going to be running the cable over a long distance. Even if your projector does a little scaling, DVI will probably give you the most accurate picture of the methods listed...there is no reason to use component cables in this case, as you'd have to go from VGA to component anyway-- just connect it ala VGA in the event you dont use the DVI.

If you're going to do any sort of IR operation from room to room you'll need IR repeaters to get the signal from your living room to your HTPC. I'm not sure about this one... you COULD use RF instead of IR... are there any RF keyboards or mice out there guys?

You might want to check out the Rage3D forums and the home theater PC forum at -- lots of good info on the new Radeon cards... as well as potential problems you can avoid.
  4. Geronimo

Geronimo Auditioning

Nov 6, 2002
    So do i take it right then when I guess that all the hassle about component out's is because of Plasma TVs and the like...?
    The projector (NEC LT240) has SVideo and composite. Actually the 2 component Inputs are kind of a combined ones. It says RGB IN/Component IN. The meaning of RGB is DVI I think...?
    Why it bothers me that much is because i read this article on projectorcentral ( in which the writer strongly recommends to use component interfaces. Maybe he just didnt't consider HTPC and therefore completely left out the option of DVI?
  5. Geronimo

Geronimo Auditioning

Nov 6, 2002

MSRP (USD) : $ 3,495
    Brightness (Lumens) : 1600 ANSI
    Contrast: 300:1
    Weight: 2.9 kg
    Size (cm) (HxWxD) : 11.9 x 25.9 x 30.0
    Throw Dist (m) : 0.9 - 15.8
    Image Size (cm) : 76.2 - 1,270.0
    Focus: Manual
    Zoom: Manual
    Optional Lenses: No
    Digital Zoom: Yes
    Keystone Correction: Digital H+V
    Lens Shift: No

HDTV: 1080i,720p
    EDTV/480p: Yes
    SDTV/480i: Yes
    Component Video: Yes
    Video: Yes
    Digital Input: No
    Personal Computers: Yes

Wired: No
    Wireless: Yes
    Warranty: 3 Years

Type: 220WNSH
    Life: 1500 hours
    Quantity: 1

Type: 0.7" DLP (1)
    Native: 1024x768 Pixels
    Maximum: 1600x1200 Pixels
    Aspect Raio: 4:3 (XGA)
    H-Sync Range: 15.0 - 100.0kHz
    V-Sync Range: 50 - 120Hz
    Pixel Clock: 135 MHz max
    Speakers: 1.0W Mono
    Max Power: 280W
    Voltage: 100V - 240V
    FCC Class: B
    Audible Noise: 32.0 dB
    Special: Economy Mode Lamp
    First Ship: Pending

So as it seems there is no digital Input, no DVI so to say...
  6. Geronimo

Geronimo Auditioning

Nov 6, 2002