What's new

HTPC with a Toshiba 57HX81: I need some How to help! (1 Viewer)

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I should have my Toshiba 57HX81 in next week.
I want to take some of the components from my old computer (which I recently replaced with a new Sony PCV-RX580) and build a HTPC out of them if I can. Here is what I have laying around:
* Pentium III 500 CPU
* Abit BH6 MoBo
* RealMagic Hollywood Plus DVD Decoder Card
(Should I use this - or just use a Software based program like Power DVD>?)
* 32 MB AGP Video Card Viper V770
* Soundblaster Live! sound card
(Not 100% sure on which one - Fairly expensive card $125.00+ about 2 years ago?)
* Plenty of SDRAM
* DVD ROM Drive
* CD-R/RW Drive
* Floppy Drive
----------------------------------------------------------
I plan on buying a new MoBo and CPU (P4 1.4GHZ probably) along with a new desktop style case so that it fits in well with my HT gear.
From the items listed above, what should I use in my new HTPC? Should I get a better sound card and video card? Should I use the RealMagic DVD decoder card or go software based? Is Windows XP the way to go now on a HTPC system? I have WIN 98 SE that I could use if needed.
Also: Depending on what Video card I use (mine or a new one) what do I connect it to the Toshiba 57HX81 with? I assume it would connect to one of the Component Inputs on the back of the set? VGA to Component cable? Can someone point me in the right direction here?
Primary use for this HTPC will be web browsing - DVD Profiler display capability - MP3 playback to my receiver -and possibly games. DVD playback is a bonus for me right now - not really my main reason for adding a HTPC.
Thanks for any help -
------------------
I WAS DRUGGED AND LEFT FOR DEAD IN NEW MEXICO AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID T-SHIRT
Link Removed
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

JohanK

Second Unit
IMO, you have the equipment necessary for a HTPC already except for maybe the soundcard (I'm not too familiar with the Live! card but I believe the 5.1 Live! is needed to pass DD; this is a guess though so check it out). I would get the case you want and throw your existing stuff in there to get it up and running; you can add the new mobo/CPU later.
I would go with a software DVD player. I tried the Hollywood card but it is not up to par with today's software players IMO. BTW, the Philips Acoustic Edge soundcard that I have comes with PowerDVD 3.0.
For connection to the TV, check out the AudioAuthority box available at http://www.digitalconnection.com

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Johan
Thanks for your comments. I'll have some extra cash this holiday season and will probably put the HTPC together around then or just before that if I can.
Thanks again
------------------
I WAS DRUGGED AND LEFT FOR DEAD IN NEW MEXICO AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID T-SHIRT
Link Removed
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks