What's new

htpc vs standalone (1 Viewer)

ilyak

Stunt Coordinator
i have a 47ai and was woundering if its worthwhile to build a htpc or go with a scaler. i have a nec xg110 so i would prob be scaling pretty high. The question is, if i spend $300 on a scaler,,,will that matched with my pioneer outperform a radeon based pc?

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
you should check over at AVS forum in the HTPC forum, very popular.. but there is no way that a $300 scaler will outdo a HTPC.. the guy I bought my CRT projector from sells tons of projectors and has seen thousands of setups.. when he saw the picture from my HTPC on the projector he sold me, he was blown away.. i think it all boils down to if you are a tweaker and are comfortable on a PC or just want to flick the switch on a scaler and watch a movie without hassles.. the pc will give you better results but you have to put a little time into it to get it all working right. also, there are always software patches and different settings to improve the picture quality, etc but with a scaler, what you see is what you're stuck with..

Craig

ps. i just saw your post over at AVS forum so forget the first line of this post..

ilyak

Stunt Coordinator
i think im going with htpc then,,,just tried it out and it kills the s-video of course, but my dvd player has component output so i was unable to try that....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks