What's new

HTPC Video output question (1 Viewer)

Drew Salter

Agent
Going to build a HTPC.

A little confused though. If I use the DVI input on my projection TV, will I be able to break the resolution barrier on DVDs?

I've heard yes and no's for this.

Drew

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
depends on what you are talking about.
DVD's are encoded at a set resolution. you computer will resize the dvd and spit the resulting image out at the computers set resolution.

hope that helps some, if that didn't try asking again in a different way.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Drew:

I THINK the answer is yes, but realize here that you aren't truly getting a HD picture if you do what you say you're trying to do.

DVDs are encoded at a set resolution (720x480, if I'm not mistaken). When a computer resizes a DVD, it's making assumptions based on the source material as to what it would look like as a larger image. It isn't actually ADDING any resolution on the picture. Think of it like zooming in on a picture on your computer - it's not ACTUALLY SHARPER, it's just bigger.

But it SHOULD make the upconversion for you.

Drew Salter

Agent
Sorry. I obviously wasn't clear enough.

Now that you have provided e with ome additional information, I can better word my question...

DVD's are encoded, as you said, at 720x480. When played in a conventional DVD player, the resolution is brought down quite a bit (from what I understand).

One of a HTPC's primary functions is to output DVD at the encoded resolution of 720x480.

I have heard though, that when you connect using a DVI input, that you are still limitted to the lower resolution of a stand alone player and that one must use component inputs to get the higher resolution.

Is this the case? or can I use the DVI input on my TV and get the full encoded resolution of the DVD?

Drew

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
A conventional DVD player sends out the full 720x480p if you tell it your TV is widscreen. An HTPC will upsacle that resolution to whatever the native resolution of your projector is. As said before, it won't get any sharper but it will look better being scaled by a fast CPU rather than the projector itself.

So while a staandalone sends out the full 720x480 an HTPC is always a better solution for a projector with DVI input.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks