HTPC - Upgrade or buy new?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Eric_L, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Ok, with considerable input from Vince Maskeeper (thanks!) and Gabriel_Lam (kudos!) I have been persuaded that I can't live without a HTPC. Of course, it has to be a dedicated sys as well.

Right now I am in need of a new PC. Instead of making it multi-purpose HTPC I was thinking I'd just upgrade my old PC to be for the Home Theater.

It will need alot. It is an Athalon 600 w' 128 onboard memory and 20 meg HD. I will need to put on a better video card + M-Audio card and add a DVD. I'm not sure about memory....

I am wondering if it has a prayer of being up to the task at only 600. I'm afraid to upgrade it any further as at that point I may as well get a whole new computer for the cost. (and I don't build them due to time and know-how - I got neither)

I really appreciate your help so far.

2. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Do you know if it is a slot Athlon or a socket-a athlon? During my upgrade-pass down to g/f process, I upgraded my old KT133 w/ 750 Athlon t-bird to a 1.1 ghz athlon for $35. With the memory from both old boxes she ended up with 384 MB RAM. That does the job for DVD play perfectly.

3. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

"Do you know if it is a slot Athlon or a socket-a athlon"

No I don't know. How can I tell the difference? How does it matter?

4. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Socket A Athlon (non-XP) 200mhz Front side bus CPUs go up to 1.3 ghz for an easy and cheap swap-them-out upgrade. Slot A Athlons go up to 950. What's your PC model info, we can find this out.
    Edit: on reflection, I think a 600 mhz athlon has to be slot-A. Still, an upgrade to an 800 or 950mhz Slot-A could possibly be done for $30-$70.

5. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Must I upgrade the processor to make in an efective HTPC? I will be useing it solely for DVD playback. No DVR, No HDTV.