What's new

HTPC to HDTV monitor hook up (1 Viewer)

Scott Graham

Agent
Hey everyone..
I'm in the process of collecting stuff I need to hook my PC up to my HDTV monitor. I have a couple of questions though. First off a background on my PC.
XP 1700+ @1.67
ASUS A7N266-C (built in Dolby Digital)
256MB PC2100
WD 40GB 7200RPM
Leadtek GF4 Ti4200 64MB
Leadtek WinFast TV2000 XP TV Tuner (have not purchased yet but decided on this model, suggestions are welcome for a TV/Capture card)

1. Does the VGA to Component connector need to convert the signal? I have seen a lot of cables / converters ranging from $30-200. Will a cable that splices from VGA to Component be suffice or do I need to convert the signal?

2. What monitor resolution displays in 16:9 1080i? Will video cards even support this resolution?

Thanks for any help!
Scott

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
You can define 1080i directly using Powerstrip, although some have found better results using 540p (or even 720p if your set actually supports it). It is only a matter if whether your video card supports these resolutions. I don't know anything about Geforce cards, I use only ATI and mine will handle anything I throw at it.
Powerstrip has preset timings for standard HD resolutions like 1080i and 540p... so it should be easy to try them out.
-vince

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Go to Dscaler.org. Read their FAQ. Find a tuner card with a chipset compatible with this program. It is great, and free.

Scott Graham

Agent
Thanks for the replies!
I was curious about the cable splicing because I have seen many cables going from VGA to Component but maybe that only works with specific hardware? Then again I know ATI makes a VGA to Component adapter that does not look like it would convert the signals based on the size and dip switches featured on it. Since your an ATI guy do you know if there is special software included with the adapter that converts the signal or is it all done through the adapter?

I might end up building a second PC just for the HTPC and go with an All-In-Wonder card (probably the 7500). If the adapter works good I could save about $150 and that would easily allow for the purchase of the card.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Scott
I just wanted to let you know that I also have some of the components you have in your HTPC.
Such as:
Athlon XP 1700+
ASUS A7N266-C MoBo (built in Dolby Digital)
128MB PC2100 DDR memory
WD 80GB 7200RPM (w/ 8 MB Cache)
I plan on adding the new ATI All In Wonder 9700 Pro sometime in the next month - hopefully - I need to sell some things to afford it though! :)
Did you ever get the All In Wonder 7500 for your HTPC? If so, how is the adapter working out? If you are having good results with the 7500 I may be able to get that one instead of the newer - more expensive - AIW 9700 Pro.
Does the AIW 7500 come with the adapter? I know the 9700 Pro does.....
Please let me know (if you can!)
Best Regards~

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Scott, FYI, the Winfast TV thing (the deluxe) is $62 over at newegg.com free FedEx, was $57 last week, add tax if you are in Ca.
Have you consider getting a HDTV tuner/capture??? Don't know how good they are, but looks like it's in the $300 range.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks