What's new

HTPC sound card question... (1 Viewer)

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
First off, I was wondering what most people in here use...does everyone have the nicest cards (m-audio), or do some of you find it acceptable to go with an Audigy, Santa Cruz, something from Hercules, or even, onboard c-media!? :) I was just really curious, for two reasons: 1.) If I were to build an HTPC, or a PC with HT capabilities and 2.) If I were to build one to sell later on.
Lastly, I was wondering if there has been any talk of the new VIA Envy24 audio chipset, here. Seems like it would be a nice addition to the selection of sound cards.
Thanks all...I'm sure someone'll tell me to do a search for what sound cards are used, but I have at least one legitimate question in here. ^_^

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Yeah, that's what sparked the question, I'm up to date with all computer parts, i was just curious what people here use. I'm building my g/f a miniPC for her grad present, and I might build myself one and use it as a divx/dvd/mp3/data server...I wanted to know exactly what people are putting in their HTPCs these days, since I was hoping that I could build one and sell it off.

(I'm CE at UM)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I use the onboard audio from my Asus A7N266-C, which has an NVIDIA nForce chipset. Same chip used in the Xbox for real-time hardware DD5.1 audio encoding!
It's really cool to listen to a concert DVD in DD5.1 and hear Windows desktop sounds mixed in real-time at only 5% CPU usage. :D
Even better: Listen to a DTS 5.1 CD while playing a 3D audio supported computer game with hardly any CPU hit...silly I know, but it's great. :)
I only wish it would encode DTS in realtime though, heh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks