What's new

HTPC -> Receiver -> TV = no PC Sound without TV on? (1 Viewer)

amob

Auditioning
Real Name
Alan
Hi all,

I have been a long time thread reader. I really hate asking for help but I am at a total loss. So I ask for your help.

I have a HTPC hooked up via HDMI to my ONKYO TX-NR414 under the PC HDMI input.

On my HDMI output I have a Panasonic VIERA TC-P50ST60.

My Energy Classic 5.1 is hooked up to the receiver.

I have a Harmony One remote controlling it all.

My question is this: how the heck do I keep my TV turned off when I want to run audio from my PC to the speakers. For example if I want to play some music I HAVE to turn on my TV.

If I turn on my receiver my TV always comes on. Is this a remote issue, a receiver setting or TV?

Thank you so much for the help!

-Alan

amob

Auditioning
Real Name
Alan
excuse my newbieness but would that be a SPDIF cable?

Would it be possible to have both HDMI and an audio only connection? So if I wanted to watch a movie on my PC I just run it through my HDMI and for music switch to SPDIF under different inputs from my receiver?

CEC is HDMI Ctrl (RIHD) for ONKYO right? When I turn that off, my TV no longer plays through my speakers. Also my PC does not recognize the receiver as connected anymore.

There are two other options when I disable RIHD: HDMI Through and Audio TV out. I play around with those but never get them to work. I don't really understand them either. Again sorry for being new to this.

edit: It seems after some searching that CEC is Veira-Link? I am looking into how to disable it now (if possible) to see if this works.

edit #2: turning off Veira-Link has the exact same effect as turning off RIHD on the ONKYO. I am at a loss...

amob

Auditioning
Real Name
Alan
yeah my PC does have SPDIF out, I will most likely just go with that option.

When I turn RIHD off, I also have HDMI Through off as well as Audio TV off by default.

I fixed the non-detected receiver by doing "duplicate display" under display settings.

I cannot get my TV to play through my receiver speakers though with RIHD off (and HDMI through & audio TV off as well). Any ideas? You have already been a huge help!

-Alan

amob

Auditioning
Real Name
Alan
no I mean my TV when watching through my cable box (comcast) only plays audio through the TV and not through my surround sound speakers.

So if I want to watch a movie from Comcast, the sound is only through my tv speakers not my surround sound system which is connected through the receiver.

amob

Auditioning
Real Name
Alan
oh my goodness that is it.

THANK YOU! I would never have figured that out.

Learned so much lurking but alas not enough to figure such a simple thing out!

A million thank yous!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks