HTPC question

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Sean Moon, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

I am wanting to upgrade my desktop to something up to date, and was wanting to use the parts from my current computer to throw together a MP3/Internet/Photo viewer PC to put downstairs with my HD set.

My computer is an old Athlon 750Mhz processor, 384MB of RAM, GeForce 3 64mb video card. I was wondering if I would be able to use my current processor and ram and maybe throw in a video card that would output a component 1080i signal, or with these parts am I stuck with svideo only due to the slow processor.

2. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

I think you'd have a tough time playing Hi-Def video with those specs. Try looking around for some 1080i sample files to download and try them with your machine.

Here's a link to the Windows Media Player sample page:
    Hi-Def samples

I didn't see any 1080i samples on this site but if your machine can handle the 720p samples it should do 1080i.

Don't try the 1080p sample files, they'll choke your machine for sure.

3. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

I started using my PIII last October as a video player and by December I bought a Athlon 64 3400+ chip.
    I also bought a ATI 9600 pro graphics card and I'm sorry now that I didn't buy a 9800 pro card because I'm overclocking the 9600 card by 10%.
    If you want to set a PC up as a DVD player using FFDshow and the Nvidia codec, minimum requirements are a 64 chip, a 9800 pro card and 512 of DDR ram.
    http://htpcnews.com/main.php?id=ffdshowdvd_1
    If you decide to use Zoom player and enable the SPDIF sound output you have to click in the advanced options, the External tab in the left column of Zoom Player and enable SPDIF.

4. Sean Moon

The DVD player part was kind of a bonus. Not the main focus of it. Mainly wanting a digital photo viewer, jukebox, net browser to use on the HD downstairs. Is the computer still too slow for something like that at HD resolutions?

5. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

If that's all you want to do then yes.
    If you start getting ideas to expand your video capability then probably no.
    I started using my PIII with a TV capture card.
    I didn't like the PQ so I started downloading some TV programs.
    My hard drive was full in no time so I started burning minidvd's with my CD burner.
    It turned out the minidvd's weren't compatible with my two DVD players.
    I ended up building a PC with exactly the features I wanted and enough HD storage for $700 CDN. and now my overworked PIII is back to being the family PC again.
    Everything about video requires hardware that's been manufactured in the last year.

6. Sean Moon

Thank you for the responses everyone.